Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

3.8 to ls1 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default 3.8 to ls1 fuel problem

Ive just did an ls1 conversion from a 02 z28 into a 2000 3.8 body. the 02 parts car ran just fine before the swap and i changed everything from it over to the 2000 every line wire everything. finally got everything changed over now it wont start. It turns over just fine but wont fire up. i checked the fuel rails and there not getting any fuel. question is is it possible for me to hook something up wrong? like the wiring going through the floorboard is it possible to plug the wrong plug into the wrong spot? any other ideas what could be the problem?
Old 05-19-2010 | 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

disable vats
Old 05-20-2010 | 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Angry

already did that was my first problem with it. got that fixed now this
Old 05-20-2010 | 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how about fuel filter if not the filter try ign one ign two one the fuse box on the v6 we one use one and the ls1 uses bolth
Old 05-20-2010 | 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

ill check the filter tonight. ive already checked the fuse box its got all the wireing and fuse boxes from the 02 ls1 car in it we changed everything
Old 05-20-2010 | 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

im not hearing any noise coming from the fuel pump kicking on so im guessing im not getting power back there for some reason
Old 06-09-2010 | 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

ive checked everything on this car twice and i still cant figure this out. so im going back to my original problem and thats the vats. originally this car wouldnt even turn over but i finally got it cranking so i figured my vats problems were over. if it is the vats would it even be turning over at all?
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i thought if it was the vats it wouldnt turn over at all, but i might be wrong. how did u disable it?
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

i did the resistor thing and got it to turning over but im still not getting power to the fuel pump i thought that it wouldnt even turn over if its still the vats but i may be wrong my security light stays lit it doesnt flash anymore
Old 06-09-2010 | 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

You guys are right about the VATS, I tuned a formula that had a VATS problem and when it acted up the security light came on and the engine wouldnt turn over. Turned the VATS off with HPT & it starts up every time but the security light still comes on every once in a while lol.
Old 06-10-2010 | 12:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Did you change the fuel pump/tank or is it still the V6 pump?

The V6 does not have a regulator in the tank & will make no fuel pressure when used with an LS1 line setup.
Old 06-14-2010 | 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

i completly gutted both cars and put all the ls1 parts onto the v6 body every line wire everything. today we tested the power going into the pump and nothing. ran a wire from a battery directly into the pump and car started right up. also today i got the security light to go off so the vats is out of the picture to. Im completly stumped here not sure what to try next.
Old 06-15-2010 | 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

just a run down of things ive tried for anyone who knows what there doing and wants to help me fix this. 1. its not the vats security light is not on at all and car is turning over 2. ive checked the connectors coming through the floor board and pluging into the fuel pump everything is pluged in tight but not getting any power to the wires 3. fuel pump is working ran wires from a spare battery into the fuel pump and car starts and runs fine 4. ive checked relays on driver side under the hood and passenger side underdash on air bag brace next to radio all are fine. i think thats it anyone got anymore ideas to try before i have to tear this back down and start from scratch? anyone know of any other relays or plugins that could be causing this?
Old 06-17-2010 | 09:18 AM
On The Tree

When I did my conversion I didnt change steering columns since the clock spring was blown in the parts car. Being that I was keeping the origional V6 key all I did was pop the chip out of the ls1 key and put it in the v6 key. Id try that, maybe you dont have the exact right resistor. The car used to run and if you changed everything then it should still run. A plugged fuel filter is not going to be your problem. When you crank it does it have spark? If it does not then you definatly have a security issue. Is the security light staying on solid?

And your plug looks like the AC compressor not the alternator, the only problem thats going to give you is no AC !

Just read another one of your posts, heres a question, did you put the ls1 tank and fuel pump in it?
Old 06-17-2010 | 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

i changed the steering colume to match the bcm with the right chip the security light goes off and the car turns over fine but gets no fuel it has the ls1 tank pump everything. and i just realized that is the ac compressor and im a idiot. in my defence though it was 3 oclock in the morning after i had just worked a full shift.
Old 06-17-2010 | 05:43 PM
On The Tree

I take it you checked all the fuses and relays? I cant remember for sure but it MIGHT be possible to have the to plugs mixed up above the rear axle going ito the L.R. seat..Gotta be somthing stupid if the car ran and you transfered everything..did you do any harness repairs? Id double check all the connections and if still nothing I guess get a wireing diagram and follow the power wire to the pump. Itll be somthing dumb in the end and youll kick yourself in the ***..just dont go replacing parts cause youll just end up wasting money and having lots of parts!
Old 06-18-2010 | 07:35 PM
Teching In

hey did the same swap had the same prob, the final problem i had was a ground wire at cell 14 .(on back of drivers head,if thats not the problem get a drawing and pinout description of the plug by the tank,check the power there and then trace wires up to dash use a voltmeter to check.
Old 06-18-2010 | 07:37 PM
Teching In

just make sure your key and body control module match,i would try to use ls1 bcm since you have that wiring in your car
Old 06-18-2010 | 07:38 PM
Teching In

sorry feel like an idiot didnt see the date lol
Old 06-20-2010 | 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

finally fixed it last night it was a ground wire underneath the driver seat. i thought it was just part of the power seat. i never got around to installing the power seat cause why i need a power seat if the car wouldnt start? oh well i was wrong.