Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

kenne bell boost a pump vs magnuson magnavolt vs MSD programmable pump booster

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kenne bell boost a pump vs magnuson magnavolt vs MSD programmable pump booster

What is the real difference between the 3? I haven't found any good reviews or comparisons. Which should I get?

I've read up and found:

1. KB-boost a pump has a dial to increase pressure and is triggered by a fixed rate of boost 3 or 5 psi--not sure as different articles say different things.
Pros: seems to have been out the longest, most reliable. Simpler design usually is more reliable.
Cons: older technology, only uses boost to trigger, no rpm or MAF.

2. Magnuson magnavolt is triggered by MAF feed or RPM and boost of 3psi. MAF or RPM is based on different models.
Pros: Adds MAF or RPM input to trigger on. Same price as KB-Boost a pump. Smaller footprint.
Cons: May blow internal diode and leave you stranded unless you use a paperclip to bypass blown diode, then you need to replace unit. Seen these replaced with KB-Boost a pumps

3. MSD programmable fuel pump booster is the most expensive $400, new and can be programmed via usb and included software to turn on at a customer defined boost. Pressure is also variable.
Pros: fully programmable.
Cons: expensive, relatively new, read that this or older model burns out pumps.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Personally I wouldn't rely on a device like any of those. I've had a close friend pop 2 engines b/c of problems with a boost a pump. Now he's just going with one real big pump.

The big problem I see with those devices is that (just like running multiple pumps) you won't know that there is a problem with the device until you are WOT and needing the extra fuel. Sometimes this can be too late. I'd rather shell out a couple hundred more now than tear down an engine do to a lean spike.

Just my two cents
Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Your scaring me, I'm trying to figure out what broke, the magna volt or the pump or a bad coil, pop and ping
Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question Maybe..

Originally Posted by mcohenv2k
Your scaring me, I'm trying to figure out what broke, the magna volt or the pump or a bad coil, pop and ping
Post a data log??
Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard good things about the JMS Powermax. You might want to add that to the list.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Hey I know this is an old post but I'm wondering what kind of amps these things can handle? (the fuel pump boosters)
I know it is kind of a tangent but
been battling cooling problems at idle on my 06 eforce Z.
Manhattan traffic is something that rarely is encountered by our forum member especially for hours at a time as I experience sometimes.
I bought a prominent vendor's dual fan upgrade but it required a higher output alternator...got that too.. but those only put out a bit more charging power at idle over oem. When these fans kick on and I have several other accessories the voltage and amps just cant cut it and the issue snowballs.
I have idle at 900.

I'm about to try and boost voltage to cooling fans that take too much juice to run and I will also get proper speed from them, draw less amps with moe voltage and enhance cooling since ill get more speed from the fans. The dual spals are rated at maybe 20 amps. I'm wondering what one of these fuel pump boosters are designed to handle continuous. I can perhaps set it up for when the A/C is on etc. when the demand is at a high percentage.

I can go on about cooling but dont want to hijack the thread, just se if I can find specs as to what amp load these voltage boosters can handle. That will also say something about the sturdiness of the unit itself and if it can handle tandem fuel pumps etc.

Quick Reply: kenne bell boost a pump vs magnuson magnavolt vs MSD programmable pump booster