Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Octane Additive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Octane Additive

Does anyone know of a good fuel additive to use in LSX vehicles for boosting gas octane that's been sitting for a while? I read somewhere that this is an option for restoring gasoline that's a month or less old.

Also, is it possible to inadvertently raise the octane higher than 93 if the gas hasn't degraded at the time you put in the octane booster? If this can happen, what are the possible effects on the engine/performance.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put some Sta-Bil in my car just because when I park it I don't when I'm going to drive it again! I also go straight to the gas station and put some fresh fuel when I do bring it back out! Seems like it works so far.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mix in race gas...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

A friend bought some NOS brand stuff that is supposed to raise octane by 60points or something crazy like that...should bump a couple octane numbers
Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Well, I didn't see any Sta-Bil at Walmart, so I picked up a bottle of Prestone fuel additive which "protects against poor quality gas," but this was after I poured in a bottle of Gumout octane booster. I guess I'm satisfied with a mediocre product since I'm only looking to improve fuel a month old just well enough to avoid spark knock. But if I see Sta-Bil at Autozone, I'll pick it up.

But as a rule of thumb, are you supposed to avoid mixing different brand fuel octane additives or octane additives with fuel injector cleaners together?

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane Additive