Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can the Racetronix hotwire kit be installed through a trap door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the Racetronix hotwire kit be installed through a trap door?

Will this much access to the top of the tank be enough, or will the tank have to be dropped? It looks like when I pop off that sheetmetal rectangle I'll be able to get to the pump but maybe not much else.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm in the middle of it now and my fears have been confirmed. I had to run the harness up through a grommet hole in the trunk on the driver side, along the top of the sheetmetal and down into the back of the pump, as opposed to along the tank itself (which is apparently only possible with the tank dropped away from the car). It ain't pretty but hopefully it'll work.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine through the trap door and it worked fine. I used a coat hanger to snake the harness up past the tank.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this 2 months ago. I did it through the trap door. I took the wiring harness of the hotwire kit, taped it up to the end of a coat hanger, bent it a little and pushed it up and through from under the car where the fuel lines go up top of the fuel tank. Took 5 minutes. When you get it up, move around to the top, pull the rest through, un tape it and plug in the connections. Then run the rest of the wiring along the brake lines to the engine bay, self tap the fuse in a clean location and connect to the alternator. It took me about a hour all said and done.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looked to me like there just wasn't enough clearance between the tank and the car to get the harness plugs through; I even tested it by trying to snake a length of heater hose (which was not quite as big around as the plugs) along the tank to the underside of the car and it wouldn't go through. Guess I was somehow doing it wrong. But since it's already in there then screw it, as long as it works then I'm not climbing underneath that bitch again just to try to tidy it up. It's hot as ***** outside and in my garage.
Where were you guys when I started this thread on Wednesday?

Last edited by Tommyv8; 08-14-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to remove the wires/pins from the relay mount module before I was able to get wire harness to go through.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I had to remove the wires/pins from the relay mount module before I was able to get wire harness to go through.
That's exactly what I was thinking I might have to do to make it a lot thinner, but I just didn't feel like screwing with it.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
That's exactly what I was thinking I might have to do to make it a lot thinner, but I just didn't feel like screwing with it.
I just used the paper clip that came with the kit, and the pins came out and went back in with no problems.

Quick Reply: Can the Racetronix hotwire kit be installed through a trap door?