Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Drop Tank DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Tank DIY?

Hey guys, before you flame me I've tried seaching and I'm incompetant because I can't find anything.

I was planning on cutting a hole like everyone else, but then I figured I would atleast look into dropping the tank. Reason being is that being a convertible doing the access port isn't very convenient in itself.

I'm sure this whole procedure is pretty straight forward but I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm overlooking. I haven't put the car up on the stands yet to take a good look at what has to be done. Before I do I just want to see if anyone can give me some quick tips and info on whats all involved.

This is all in the effort of installing a racetronix fuel pump.

thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust has to come down. At minimum, rear shocks have to be disconnected from the rear end, so it can sag down low enough to clear the tank. All heat shielding, straps, and other BS needs to come out as well. Honestly, for the work, the access hatch is the way to go.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not a hard job at all, just time consuming. I did this on my back in the garage by myself with nothing more than 2 stands and a floor jack. If you do cut a hole, just do it right, the "mechanic" that cut mine, cut about 3-4 separate pieces out of my trunk before he got it lined up. Thanks ard...

I will say the new plastic tanks are much easier to toy around with than the old 3rd gen steel tanks though!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

I just took mine out yesterday. Easy job. I didn't even disconnect the shocks.

1) Siphon/Drain tank and undo the filler neck. (Remove flap in wheel well for access)
2) Raise rear of car.
3) Remove the catback and the heat shields.
4) Remove the pan hard bars.
5) Disconnect wires and fuel lines.
6) Undo straps (13mm lol)

The tank slides out toward the passenger side.

I think this is faster than cutting the hole. It's certainly safer and less of a hackjob.

Only knock is that it's more strenuous than cutting the hole, but you're probably a young buck, so have at it.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I just took mine out yesterday. Easy job. I didn't even disconnect the shocks.

1) Siphon/Drain tank and undo the filler neck. (Remove flap in wheel well for access)
2) Raise rear of car.
3) Remove the catback and the heat shields.
4) Remove the pan hard bars.
5) Disconnect wires and fuel lines.
6) Undo straps (13mm lol)

The tank slides out toward the passenger side.

I think this is faster than cutting the hole. It's certainly safer and less of a hackjob.

Only knock is that it's more strenuous than cutting the hole, but you're probably a young buck, so have at it.
Ok I'll bite, why the panhards?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaropar
Ok I'll bite, why the panhards?
it made it easy to get the straps out of the way without bending the crap out of them.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the tips guys I think I'm going to try bending the crap out of the straps because it was a bitch and a half to get my UMI adj. Panhard Bar in I don't want to think about getting it out.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

i just droped the tanks on two different cars i just took the exhaust hangers loose and by removing the panhard bars is was able to lower the exhaust enough to get the tanks out i also did not remove the shocks
Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bouvs
thanks for all the tips guys I think I'm going to try bending the crap out of the straps because it was a bitch and a half to get my UMI adj. Panhard Bar in I don't want to think about getting it out.
I think you'll be fine, but just make sure when you put it back together that the straps aren't chaffing against the plastic tank.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info guys, thsi is all very helpful. Anything special I should know for taking the fuel lines apart?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get a fuel line disconnect tool, available at most auto parts stores. The plastic ones on the rail suck, get one of the scissor-like tools.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bouvs
thanks for the info guys, thsi is all very helpful. Anything special I should know for taking the fuel lines apart?
The special tool is useless for undoing these particular connections. Just push the couplings together, pinch the white plastic insert on both sides (You should be able to do this by hand or maybe needle nose pliers), then pull the lines apart. (And be ready for some fuel to come out lol).

Oh ya. Once you have the tank out, be careful with the hard plastic fuel lines coming off the tank. If you bend them in a direction they don't want to go, they will kink, and leave an indentation even after you unkink. (Guess how I know that.)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

I gotta say this was one of the easiest things I have done on the car... Dropped the tank with no special tools... DIDNT unbolt the shocks and left my Spohn panhard rod in... I do have TSP TD's dumped before the axle so that made it easier. I dont understand why people think this is difficult. Was my first time and took 1 to 1.5 hrs. Tools used: Ratchet w/ various sockets and a screwdriver, and box wrenches. I did have to remove the stamped diagonal panhard rod tho. Anyone thinking about doing this... dont be scared... its cake