Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

hoses sweating fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hoses sweating fuel question

In the last couple of months I went to a boost referenced return system, I have the common slight gas smell, checked for leaks. My question is does the strength of the smell stay constant over time or does it smell less or more?

Also is it correct that going to teflon hoses and fitting will eliminate the smell?

Last edited by mike13; 03-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind/brand of hose did you use? The PTFE ( Teflon) lined hose will eliminate the smell, but it is a little more expensive, and slightly harder to use, due to the larger bend radius reguired. Not impossible to overcome, but just takes a little more planning/thought.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but it's all name brand stuff.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

I used Summit brand SS braided fuel hose... I get the same thing up near the regulator. From what I understand its normal. Never any leaks, just odor.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

The standard rubber hose will allow fuel to permeate. I've tried a couple different brands, but have switched to all aeroquip TFE Teflon racing hose. My wife at one point asked if I could start parking my car in the driveway, which was not an option, so I made the switch.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default lines

All of my fuel lines that i got from Nasty Performace stink like freakin fuel all the time and its been pissing me off to the point that im gong to pull ((ALL)) of my freakin lines back out of my ride and throw these bitches in the ****** trash and do them all over again with that teflon inner core line that was mentioned in here !
My wife also told me the same thing Geeze i guess the search finally worked for me and know that im not alone with this!LOL
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
All of my fuel lines that i got from Nasty Performace stink like freakin fuel all the time and its been pissing me off to the point that im gong to pull ((ALL)) of my freakin lines back out of my ride and throw these bitches in the ****** trash and do them all over again with that teflon inner core line that was mentioned in here !
My wife also told me the same thing Geeze i guess the search finally worked for me and know that im not alone with this!LOL
I think you have to change fittings too.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default lines

Originally Posted by mike13
I think you have to change fittings too.
I know,,, Big money to change all this freakin **** again! I talked to Nate from Nasty performance i think a few years ago and he said it wasnt the lines LOL You can smell it coming threw the dam lines if you put your nose up against them!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think there's still some "Speculation" from the major suppliers on their lines. I got this from an Aeroquip dealer, answering my e-85 question

http://forum.murdockindustrial.com/index.php?topic=10.0

The only real way around it is to use lines with PTFE (Teflon) inner liners.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autozone stocks the teflon line and fittings
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
What kind/brand of hose did you use? The PTFE ( Teflon) lined hose will eliminate the smell, but it is a little more expensive, and slightly harder to use, due to the larger bend radius reguired. Not impossible to overcome, but just takes a little more planning/thought.
The teflon line that I've seen allows a tighter bend radius along with having a larger inner diameter compared to the same size synthetic rubber hose. It is way more expensive, though, along with requiring hose ends that can only be used on teflon lines, but they should last a lifetime compared to the couple years that my rubber lines have - they stink more and more over time.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem with rubber based hoses, regardless of the brand.

Good quality teflon lines are very flexible & will route easily. Keep in mind the fittings are different so you cannot just swap the line.

If looking for a Teflon line setup I'll be glad to help you out.