Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

2006 maggied GTO fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 maggied GTO fuel issues

I have been having fuel issues for about a year. I had gotten rid of the magnavot about a year ago when it just died and the car wouldn't start. jumperd the wires to bypass the magnavolt and the car started right up. I put a KB BAP on it and everything was fine till 4 months ago the car sat for a week while we were on vacation. was going to go to work tried to start the car and it didn't start till the second try. normally it would start right away. I didn't think to much of it till one day i tool my kid to school and i let the car idle out front of the school for about 20 minutes. I cut the car off for about 10 minutes and when i go to start it up it didn't want to run. had it towed to the on base hobby shop. go there later to start troubleshooting and it starts right up. fuel pressure is a little low50-55. drive it home and pressure drops to 45-50. I thought that maybe the BAP is bad. took it off and no change. I replaced the stock fuel pump with the aeromotive 340 and the fuel pressure was 62-64psi at idle but dropped off at any driving other than normal driving around town and won't hold pressure when shut off. I was probably given a hint from someone when he told me it might be my regulator. Here is video of start up and 2 minutes after start up. Lonnie, I see in another thread you said that..

Originally Posted by Lonnies performance
The increase in pressure is only at idle. As load increases the pressure comes back down to the correct 58psi. This is due to the small factory regulator not being able to return the volume of fuel at idle. Once the engine uses more fuel under load, it comes back down. Therefore the o2 sensors will correct at idle & fix the rich condition without a tune.

FYI, the amount of flow increase based on 62psi is only 3%... The changes in daily weather conditions can cause more variations than this.
Did I kill the stock regulator by letting it idle for 20 minutes? If it is the regulator, does anyone sell a replacement stock regulator or should i just go full return?

http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/v...=VIDEO0020.mp4

http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/v...=VIDEO0021.mp4

Last edited by bridges; 05-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The regulator or the fuel pump could be bleeding down pressure in your application or the o-ring in the GTO bucket that seals the pump could be leaking, causing the drop when shut off. Not sure how you rigged up the new pump.

The high pressure at idle is likely due to the increased flow, but that should not hurt the regulator.

The fact that is was high, now low, leads me to believe you have a pump issue or an interanl leak.

There is also a chance the stock tank wiring is having issues feeding the Aeromotive pump, they pull a lot of current compared to stock.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The regulator or the fuel pump could be bleeding down pressure in your application or the o-ring in the GTO bucket that seals the pump could be leaking, causing the drop when shut off. Not sure how you rigged up the new pump.

The high pressure at idle is likely due to the increased flow, but that should not hurt the regulator.

The fact that is was high, now low, leads me to believe you have a pump issue or an interanl leak.

There is also a chance the stock tank wiring is having issues feeding the Aeromotive pump, they pull a lot of current compared to stock.
First off, Thank you for the reply.

When I installed the pump I used the directions for the walbro. The a340 is the same size as the walbro so I cut the tabs where the stock pump came out. The a340 is reverse polarity so I just switched the two wires going to the plug in the plastic connector. You mention that the stock wiring might not be able to carry enough amps for the a340. Do you sell a wiring harness for that (wires in a Teflon sheath if I'm correct)? would I need to change out the whole wiring harness and the plug at the top of the bucket (have thought about hotwiring in the KB BAP)? I will be pulling the tank tomorrow. I was hoping that this pump would support the Maggie and a small shot but now I have my doubts.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a BAP on a system you are already having problems with does not seem like a solution.

You should use an upgraded power feed over the stock wiring as the current draw of this pump is significantly higher & will get even worse with a BAP.

There are many design issues to consider, beside the pump, when trying to put a system together. Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss some viable options for reliably supporting your power goals.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

I didn't mean that I was just going to put the BAP back on there. I have to get in there and find out why this pump isn't even putting out what the stock pump was putting out. I am also going to upgrade the wiring while I'm in there. I had a tough time finding the ptfe wire, or I was just looking in the wrong places.lol. I got some 10 awg teflon with silver coated wires. if this doesn't work I will just go full return.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Fixed, the o-ring for the feed line coming off the bottom of the bucket had the wrong size. I bought 8 ls1 injector o-ringd and replaced all the o-rings in the bucket. added a "hot wire" consisting of a relay and 10awg wire plus silver plated 10awg teflon wire to the pump.

Last edited by bridges; 05-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 maggied GTO fuel issues