Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

low fuel pressure question and what fuel pump to replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low fuel pressure question and what fuel pump to replace it?

my car runs funny, bad gas milage, dtc 55 at wot feel sluggish taking off sometimes so i checked my fuel pressure. it was 17psi not running key on. and 28 psi running with vac to regulator and about the same without it on except the needle was bouncing from 29-27psi rapidly. i assume my puel pump is weak? or could it be the regulator.
what fuel pump is a good deal on ebay for a stock car? i dont want the factory pump. or could it be my regulator or something else? thanks guys
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For how hard it is to replace I would not skimp with a cheap aftermarket pump. You can buy the stock unit that includes the entire sender assembly or install just one of the performance pumps that require you to take apart the sender assembly like this one. http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2072
On older cars for some reason every time you replace just the pump and not the whole sender your sender will stop working shortly after. The shop foreman at the Pontiac dealer I worked at told me its something to do with it hitting the air outside the tank that messes it up.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
For how hard it is to replace I would not skimp with a cheap aftermarket pump. You can buy the stock unit that includes the entire sender assembly or install just one of the performance pumps that require you to take apart the sender assembly like this one. http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2072
On older cars for some reason every time you replace just the pump and not the whole sender your sender will stop working shortly after. The shop foreman at the Pontiac dealer I worked at told me its something to do with it hitting the air outside the tank that messes it up.
oh trust me im cutting not dropping tank and axle
Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

so are the 255 walbros pretty much a universal fit or is there a certain one for these cars? i preffer aeromotive but i keep seeing universal 255s that say the fit a 94 z28
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Purchase the pump form a vendor who supports these forums. The pumps they offer are direct replacement for the stock pump.