Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help with avgas stoichiometric, facts only please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Glad to hear... I love AV gas, best bang for the buck, unless you happen to be flooded with E85 stations in your area. I have to drive 20mi to get to the nearest E85 station & the next nearest is 40mi away.
Your absolutely right! I wish it was more plentiful around here cause I would definitely use it. I can run it in my truck and do when I head west and once I get past Columbus west I can get it pretty much anywhere.

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
my biggest issue with avgas is that its a "drier" fuel w/o as many topend lubricants. dont get me wrong it does work, id just rather have the safety factor of a proper fuel for the application
You are correct as well and I should have mentioned that to help with that I add 2oz of Marvel Mystery oil per every 5 gallons of avgas I put in the car...Havent dried anything up or had any seals leaking from it so far
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been following this thread and i am wanting to run the same. I have an airport nearby with a cardlock pump the 100ll is 1.9 per litre. I want to run this in my tt vette and bump the timing for more hp. I always worried about fouling the o2's but now i see perhaps it may work. trans an 99 please tell more, about the last year on this stuff what did you do in your tune to compensate over lets say 94 unleaded which i am running now with meth inj adder
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
i have been following this thread and i am wanting to run the same. I have an airport nearby with a cardlock pump the 100ll is 1.9 per litre. I want to run this in my tt vette and bump the timing for more hp. I always worried about fouling the o2's but now i see perhaps it may work. trans an 99 please tell more, about the last year on this stuff what did you do in your tune to compensate over lets say 94 unleaded which i am running now with meth inj adder
Well lets see-I suppose if you have access to it and are not worried about getting busted for using it it is a great fuel. I have not changed or had any issues with my 02's but with that being said I only drove it about 1k miles in the past year. I doubt you will get 100k out of them like a normal stock vehicle but it sounds like your car is similar to mine and will not be driven a great deal.

The fuel is just like running 116+ race gas, I have 22* of timing in my car at 22# of boost and it never even set off the knock sensor when we were tuning it. We just stopped there as a precaution. Over 94 octane its apples to oranges better and you can remove your meth tank. Its just like tuning your car for race gas but not paying $12+ dollars per gallon for it. I bought a couple 50 gallon barrels and filled them up so im not running back and forth all the time.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also isnt there a whitish ash on the plugs making reading them somewhat different in approach? i ask because i want to check my afr on the plugs once in a while rather than believe my wideband
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plug deposits are lead from the fuel.

Not typically a problem with plug reading as you are looking deeper into the plug, the deposits show up more on the electrodes.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Teching In

white ash is common on airplane plugs, 80 octane motors sometimes have the lead form into little *****, very obvious. airplane motors run high power settings continuously, the problems usually arise from power off descents with full rich mixture, cool motor, then full throttle go around cooking mixture on wet plugs, such as a student pilot practicing landings, book procedures are full rich mixture setting up for landing so it is already configured for full power in case of a go around. The other scenario is full rich on ground during run up and taxi, then going full power on takoff and climb on sooty plugs. I personally never noticed lead ***** on anything other than a low compression airplane motor, but its possible. I would guess most problems with either type of fouling would be to not be too rich at idle, full power rich is more obvious, somewhat rich idle is not.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nitrouspaul
also isnt there a whitish ash on the plugs making reading them somewhat different in approach? i ask because i want to check my afr on the plugs once in a while rather than believe my wideband
This is possible, but I tuned the car with a wideband and havent looked back.

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
The plug deposits are lead from the fuel.

Not typically a problem with plug reading as you are looking deeper into the plug, the deposits show up more on the electrodes.
Correct...

Originally Posted by bsomm
white ash is common on airplane plugs, 80 octane motors sometimes have the lead form into little *****, very obvious. airplane motors run high power settings continuously, the problems usually arise from power off descents with full rich mixture, cool motor, then full throttle go around cooking mixture on wet plugs, such as a student pilot practicing landings, book procedures are full rich mixture setting up for landing so it is already configured for full power in case of a go around. The other scenario is full rich on ground during run up and taxi, then going full power on takoff and climb on sooty plugs. I personally never noticed lead ***** on anything other than a low compression airplane motor, but its possible. I would guess most problems with either type of fouling would be to not be too rich at idle, full power rich is more obvious, somewhat rich idle is not.
One other thing to remember is airplane engines rarely turn more than 3k rpms and the mixture is not automatically and instaneously adjusted for you. I think that the occacional 7k rpm pull threw a couple of gears along with the boost pressure and velocity of air entering and exiting the cylinders should have some positive effect on keeping them clear of lead *****. I have seen lead ***** and the plugs are cleaned with a little tool that sandblasts the plug to remove them instead of buying new plugs everytime since they are much more expensive.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run this gas in my Camaro & also my Quads. It will leave a slight white deposit on the plug, but tuning/reading them is not a problem.

I have never had a fouling problem, infact the same plug was in my LT250R for 5 years & I never cleaned it... saying a lot for a 2 stroke.

Also I never add any oil to the fuel in my Camaro. It doesn't seem to care.
If I was to add any, I would use 2 stroke racing oil as it is designed to be burned in an engine
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

That is what I meant, airplanes run excessively rich alot of the time and usually either very cold or very hot. If your not too rich at idle I think you'll be fine, a little rich full power is fine. You won't have the extremes that sometimes cause problems in airplanes.

Quick Reply: Help with avgas stoichiometric, facts only please