Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car has to be primed twice to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car has to be primed twice to start

103k miles, most likely stock pump. Car will almost never start first prime. I must prime 2 seconds then off, then prime again, and start. It starts right up every time that way. Didn't want to pay the $45 for a fuel pressure tester just to find out I need a new pump, so I opted to try a different, more vague, approach.

I turned the car on and let it prime once, then took the fuel rail cap off, waited about 5 minutes and then pushed in the schrader valve with a screwdriver behind a rag. No gasoline on the rag whatsoever. Second try I prime the pump again and within 5-10 seconds do the same procedure. It barely trickled gasoline on the rag.

Did some searching and it seems the regulator or check valve is bad, or I have a leak in the line. Either way I ordered a new racetronix pump with the harness. Figure if this doesn't solve the problem I at least have a better pump which couldn't hurt. I'd have to trap door/drop the tank anyhow to troublshoot and if I'm going through that much trouble might as well replace the pump.

Any input/advice?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing. There's a check valve that bleeds the pressure off somewhere, and mine gave up at 125k miles. I checked pressure, and I have 60 psi as long as the car is running, but it bleeds off in 2-3 seconds after the pump shuts off.

I have a mechanic that says the valve is in the tank, and I took him at his word on this one.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
There's a check valve that bleeds the pressure off.
Yep that's it, mine use to do the same thing. I bought a Racetronix pump with harness and no more problem.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Mine does the same thing. There's a check valve that bleeds the pressure off somewhere, and mine gave up at 125k miles. I checked pressure, and I have 60 psi as long as the car is running, but it bleeds off in 2-3 seconds after the pump shuts off.

I have a mechanic that says the valve is in the tank, and I took him at his word on this one.
Everytime I open this thread I lol at your sig...so funny
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS99V6
Yep that's it, mine use to do the same thing. I bought a Racetronix pump with harness and no more problem.

Same here.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update to close the thread out, changed the pump and wiring harness to the racetronix unit. Everything works great now!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Can a guy get away with installing just the racetronix pump on a '98 and not do the wiring harness? Will the factory system handle the new pump okay? If not, can the new wiring harness be added using the trap door method? 89,000 mi and mine is starting to bleed back quick after prime. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the pump without the harness, but I recommend the harness upgrade. The larger pump draws more current & the factory wiring is marginal. For the extra $49 I would not cut corners.

It will fit using the trap door method, but I still recommend removing the tank to clean everything properly.
You can never be too clean when it comes to fuel delivery.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 10-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
It will fit using the trap door method, but I still recommend removing the tank to clean everything properly.
You can never be too clean when it comes to fuel delivery.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<