Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

hard start and fouling plugs on 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hard start and fouling plugs on 5.3L

I transplanted a 2002 5.3L engine into my second gen camaro. WHen purchased the computer had already been set up for no emissions and that sort of stuff. i couldnt get it to start and found all the injectors were plugged so i got a hold of a set of injectors from a 350 iroc, changed pigtails and the engine started. i really dont have any driving time on this engine just idle but it takes quite a few tries to start. i have fouled three sets of plugs just moving the car in and out of the garage here and there. i run an aeromotive A1000 pump to the stock fuel rail. Yesterday went to start it and it belched a bunch of black smoke and these are with 2 day old plugs. i have always noticed from day one when i would rev the engine you could tell it was rich (black smoke). any ideas? i was thinking possibly the injectors are bigger than the stockers? bad injectors like maybe leaking past? Is the A1000 compatible with the stock pressure regulator or could it be pushing fuel past? i am going to check my fuel pressure tonight and see where it is at. what is the pressure supposed to be set at? any other suggestions?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

350 IROC... I'm assuming that is an LT1 engine??
If so, the injectors in that engine were rated at 3 bar, [43.5 psi], and you have them operating on an LS engine w/ the fuel psi @ 4 bar, [58psi].
If you want to continue to use them, change the tune to match their rating...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

well, i just checked the fuel pressure with the vehicle running and it was 76 psi. holy fack. its the stock regulator it has vacuum going to it. Is it safe to say the regulator is facked? I wish i could change the tune but i have no tuning tools at this time.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

ok, i put a aeromotive fuel pressure regulator in and have the pressure set at 58 psi. Still runs rich but seems better. Should i get some stock injectors and replace the iroc ones since i cant change the tune?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSZ
ok, i put a aeromotive fuel pressure regulator in and have the pressure set at 58 psi. Still runs rich but seems better. Should i get some stock injectors and replace the iroc ones since i cant change the tune?
That would be a safe next step.

Quick Reply: hard start and fouling plugs on 5.3L