Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85's true Octane numbers. NOT 100 and above.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85's true Octane numbers. NOT 100 and above.

E85 is NOT 100 Octane nor is it 105. People get these numbers using the wrong calculation methods. It is between 94-96 octane. Just for the record

"E85 has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." [7]
Examples of this mis-citation can be found at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association titled "E85 Facts"[8] which cites a range of 100-105, and a document at the Texas State Energy Conservation Office titled "Ethanol"[9], which cites a 113 rating."
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i run ethanol in my ls7 motor with almost 14:1 compression.. Also in my mustang its been run at 23lbs of boost with compression in the 10s...

regardless of the actually octane rating, you can pretty much throw whatever you want at it. and it takes it just fine.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
i run ethanol in my ls7 motor with almost 14:1 compression.. Also in my mustang its been run at 23lbs of boost with compression in the 10s...

regardless of the actually octane rating, you can pretty much throw whatever you want at it. and it takes it just fine.
I agree the stuff is great. They have a pump like a block from my shop i love it. Just tired of people posting that its 113 etc. Thats all

Quick Reply: E85's true Octane numbers. NOT 100 and above.