Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel pump or possibly something else? Mechanic is screwing with me.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump or possibly something else? Mechanic is screwing with me.

Anytime I Try To Rev The Car Past Say 2500-3000 Rpm's It Dies Out As If Its Starving For Gas. Then Once It Happens Once Tben Its Like A Domino And At Almost Any Speed And Rms It Does It. But If I Let It Sit For A Day And Start It Agin Itll B Fine Unless I Try To Hit The Gas A Little To Get Up To Speed Somewhat Quickly And The Tach Goes Over Say 2500-3500 Rpms And Again Boom Everything Cuts Out As If I'm Out Of Gas. Now I Was Told Its Not The Fuel Pump Its Ont The Fuel Pump Even Though Its As If Its Starving For Gas. I Was Told Its The Optispark Distributer System Thing That This Car Has. So Ok Well I Took It To A Mechanic And Not Only Had The Opti Spark Distributer Cap And Rotar Replaced With Brand New Parts I Also Had All New Spark Plugs And All New Wires Put In It. And Go To Drive It Today And Again Its Still Doing The Same Thing If I Try To Drop The Hammer At All While The Car Is In Motion To Get It Up To 40 - 60 Again Boom Like Its Starving For Gas And Everything Shuts Off On Me As If I Mout Of Gas. What Is The Problem? Please Help!! Fuel Pump Going Bad Just Not Al Lthe Way Bad Yet?? Torque Converter?? Torque Converter Selenoid.. ?? Something Else? i've been without my car for 10 days and its my daily driver and im a single dad who also takes care of his mother full time pretty much and has a job and allthe things tha tgo with taking care of myself and two others fully i need this car to work.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Teching In

the guy who said it wasn't the fuel pump over and over again said it was getting 40lbs of pressure which he said is the normal amount of pressure it should be getting when he put it on the machine at idle. however i don't think that would tell him the information needed for when the

engine is at work during 50-70 mph and i drop the hammer and it goes out like its starving for gas. at idle the fuel pump is under no work and the volume thru the fuel pump is much less then itt is at idle. so i dont think it having the correct presure at idle would tell you a yay or nay on the fuel

pump. he also said there were codes for multiple misfires recently which it was doing right before the starving for gas thing would happen it would misifre like twice. however since replacing the optispark and all plugs and wires the misfire proceeding the starving for gas thing has gone away

but its still starving for gas aka acts as if i've run out of gas if i try to drop the hammer meaning hit the gas pedal from 50%-100% down getting the rpms anywhere near 3500 and it happens. so he said and he's been a mechanic forever that he was 99% sure it was the opti spark thing. well

had all that replaced plus for good measure i had all new wire and new spark plugs done these things were not eaasy or cheap mind you. Still after its been 10 days total for this whole deal after doing al lthat when i drop the hammer still it acts like its starving for gas / run out of gas. this guy

that keeps saying its ont the fuel pump i am suspicious of because he's the one who put the fuel pump thats in the car now. So he told me that if it is the fuel pump he'd replace it with a new one for free. So it just seems to me that the fuel pump is either weak or going bad or bad and it just

hasnt gone ALLL the way yet to where the car won't even run at idle. I think he's just tryin to say its anything that I'd actually HAVE to pay him for as opposed to this 1200$ job on the fuel pump tha t'd he would have to do for me for free. Thats how much i paid him to do it initially. please no

comments about that price i know thats pretty high. ps. thank you in advance
Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Launching!

...You Write

Weird, I Kid, I

Kid
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Teching In

sooo... you got nothin for me?? NHRA
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a clogged exhaust. Converter mite b clooged. Have someone start up the car while ur behind it at the exhaust exit. Tell them to rev it up a few times n check the amount of pressure from the exhaust exit. U should feel a decent amount of pressure come out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump or possibly something else? Mechanic is screwing with me.