Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help!!! Fuel leaking around pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Fuel leaking around pressure regulator

I have been having problems for awhile with fuel pressure on my 98 Firebird. Fuel pressure is steady at 70 PSI but will not hold if motor is shutoff or after initial prime.

When you turn the key to prime pressure will drop to 0 as soon as the prim cycle is finished. After some research and troubleshooting I figured the check valve in the fuel pump was bad or there was a problem with the fuel pressure regulator.

I ordered a new racetronix fuel pump and new regulator. As soon as I go the tank apart I saw that the O-ring had been pushed out around the pressure regulator.

I replaced the pressure regulator and O-ring with the new parts I had ordered. When doing so I could see that the plastic housing that holds the regulator was deformed. It is no longer round but more egg shaped. The regulator seemed very loose but I put it back together to test.

After I put everything back together my fuel pressure was only around 28 PSI and I could see that fuel was blowing by the O-ring and spraying out of the regulator.

I need a new housing that the regulator goes into but I can not find one anywhere online. i went to the dealer and they could not find a reference for this part. they told me it came as an assembly and wanted $500 for the assembly. I am not going that way.

anyone have any suggestions or possibly a spare part you have lying around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Help!!! Fuel leaking around pressure regulator-regulator.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same issue did u ever get it straight
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Teching In

I did, there was a local shop that stocks a large assortment of o-rings. I found a O-ring that was a slightly thicker diameter than the original. If I remember correctly the inside diameter was slightly smaller as well so it was stretched a little to fit around the regulator. It took a little time and effort to resemble the regulator because the new o-ring took up allot more space.

Since I put the new o-ring in I have had zero problems with fuel pressure.

good luck. I know I took mine apart about 20 times before I found something that would work.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Money
I'm having the same issue did u ever get it straight
Fuel pressure can't build if it's just returning to the tank.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Fuel leaking around pressure regulator