Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

clogged-dirty-varnished injectors? or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged-dirty-varnished injectors? or NO?

Here's the rundown:

The engine is an LQ9 from a 2004 escalade. The intake, fuel rails, and injectors have been sitting for 4+ years. It has a new fuel system and fresh gas upto the fuel rail.

Here's the problem:

Finally fired off for the first time, but it cranked for a while, and when it did start it's rough, and you have to hold the Throttle open to keep it going. Smell of bad gas. Plugged in a scan tool and not throwing any codes.

Here's what i'm thinking:

The left over gas in the rails/injectors has varnished up and gunked things up.

Before i clean/replace the injectors does anyone have any idea's on what the problem might be besides this? Or maybe someone has information suggesting i'm on the right track? I don't want to spend $250 cleaning the injectors and it does nothing.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

That's a real probability.... I see it frequently with the junkyard engines my friend sells. He sends me the injs for cleaning...99% of the time, it's the nasty fuel in them.
The fuel is so nasty, that some small engine mfgrs are selling pure gas in small qtys, for use in leaf blowers, weed whackers, etc. They are also stating that 30 days storage is about all you can count on, B4 it's ???

Quick Reply: clogged-dirty-varnished injectors? or NO?