Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What inline fuel pump should I run for a 347 TVS1900 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What inline fuel pump should I run for a 347 TVS1900 setup?

My inline fuel pump is dying (its over 25 years old) and I need to buy a new one.

I have an old Jaguar with an LS1 347, stock 243 heads, stock cam, and forged pistons. CR is about 9.6:1. The car runs good but the fuel pump is dying (it's over 25 years old) and I need to buy a new one.

I also have a stock TVS1900 supercharger assembly from a Cadillac CTS-V that I am waiting to put on. I will probably use the CTS-V injectors, which are about 50lbs or so. I want to get a single inline fuel pump that will support the supercharger. I would like to get to around 500hp at the wheels, which will probably be about 600hp at the crank.

Any suggestions on what fuel pump I should run? I was looking at the Walbro GSL 392 and the Bosch "044" pump. The Walbro would be great because it's the right size to mount in the stock location and it's supposed to be quiet. The Bosch pump is much larger and I hear it makes a lot of noise. The Bosch pump also outflows the Walbro pump by a long shot, all the way to 72lbs (and beyond) which is where I expect fuel pressure to get under full throttle.

Any thoughts on this? Quiet is important to me (it's a luxury cruiser) but I don't want a catastrophic fuel system failure either. Is there a pump that is in between the two, that flows slightly more than the Walbro but is small and quiet? Would the Walbro be enough, or do I need to go with the Bosch?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's amazing that a pump that old lasted as long as it did. Look into the Aeromotive 340 intake pump if you want to run just one. If you want an external I'd run the Bosch 044 all the way.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, that pump was a trooper. It's also a Bosch pump, but of course much much smaller than the 044.

There is no provision for an intank pump - it has to be an external pump. I was just hoping that maybe there was a bigger external Walbro that I didn't know about or something like that.

Originally Posted by Exidous
That's amazing that a pump that old lasted as long as it did. Look into the Aeromotive 340 intake pump if you want to run just one. If you want an external I'd run the Bosch 044 all the way.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine are you planning on using with that TVS 1900?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

He's using a forged LS1. Walbro has a 400LPH intake so I think it's going to have to be the Bosch 044.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exidous
He's using a forged LS1. Walbro has a 400LPH intake so I think it's going to have to be the Bosch 044.
That TVS LSA 1900 is for a square port heads. I sent the OP and email. I'm currently doing the same blower swap.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's a big deal. I test fit the supercharger onto my cathedral port heads. After removing a steel dowel, the manifold physically bolts up and seems to fit fine.

I know the manifold was made for square port heads and the port shapes don't line up perfectly, but they look close enough. They are on-center. The overlap is actually very little. Also, if you have ever had an opportunity to look at a Magnacharger TVS1900 manifold, the ports on that manifold are actually triangular and do not line up with the square ports on the square port heads. Therefore, I don't think it's going to be a big deal if this manifold doesn't line up perfectly.

On a related note, I would like to see what shape the ports are for a cathedral port Magnacharger manifold. They very well might be the same triangular shape used for the square port heads.

Unless there's something else I didn't plan for, like the supercharger belt drive not lining up, I think it's going to be just fine.

Anyway, I hate to sidetrack this thread...

Any other fuel pump options? How about the A1000?

Originally Posted by supermaro
That TVS LSA 1900 is for a square port heads. I sent the OP and email. I'm currently doing the same blower swap.
You're doing the same swap - are you using cathedral port heads like me?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

So my car threw another curve at me. It looks like my fuel supply line is 5/16", not 3/8". Actually, it's a 5/16" line with a 3/8" barb brazed (or welded?) onto the end of the line in the engine bay. So 99% of the pressure side of the fuel system is 5/16".

How far can I push the 5/16" fuel line with the Bosch 044? How much HP can a 5/16" line support?

Quick Reply: What inline fuel pump should I run for a 347 TVS1900 setup?