Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

s10 5.3 fueling problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, the pictures serve both as a tutorial for others, and for myself. I am not always the type to learn from my mistakes. I just think I can modify it and then screw it up worse. Case in point is the drivers header bolt that broke off in the head when I got it.

I drilled and tapped the hole only to find I did not tap far enough down and another bolt broke off in the head at the exact same depth. So screw it, its staying there until i blow a head gasket or motor... LOL

These builds are also good reference for others to see what is possible and what fits well to give them better informed choices for their build.

For example: The racing innovations headers.... I would NOT buy those again. I was looking at the setup from UNDER the truck and those headers are actually designed to LET you get a crossover pipe built to run exhaust down one side of the truck.

I wanted the same thing on both sides of the truck, and that is not what I wound up with. But, lesson learned. Next build is $850 for long tube headers.

I will be back on later. Gonna eat dinner and some other things before crawling in bed and dying for the night.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you using the arm off the original auto or the shift arm modified for the turbo 400?

You should be using the stock U arm from the turbo 400 and still getting all the gears.

I was hell bent on leaving it stock looking for some of the ultimate sleeper look, but decided I was just gonna go ahead and get a Quicksilver for the ratchet action.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the headers made for the Ls swap off of s10v8.com. they did allow for me to cross over to have the exhaust on the passengers side. Still have true duals going into flowmasters and dumped right before the axle. Sounds real nice. Even as the truck sits low with the 3/4 drop kit and xtreme wheels it still has a nice amount of clearance. As far as the shifter arm, it had the 4l60 already behind the 4.3 so it was good for the 4l60e I used from the 04 tahoe. All I did was remove the range sensor and cable shifter from it and swap the shifter bracket from the old to new and everything fit like a glove. It was a real easy swap. I did the corvette radiator with spal dual fan setup and it never gets hotter than 180 on a 100 degree Texas heat day. It rarely sees above 195 with ac on also.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hardest part was modifying front radiator support to fit radiator in forward position and creating an intake duct for it as well. I ended up getting a 2in cowl hood after I realized I couldn't get the alternator to clear and cutting a ridiculously big hole in the hood. For the tranny crossmember, I moved the driver side front mount bolt the the rear mount bolt. I still have to drill a hole and bolt the rear into the frame so currently its held on by a really strong bolt on drivers side. Gotta take care of that soon. The tranny mount is a poly mount bought from AutoZone. Can't remember the brand but its like 30 bucks and its red and bronze. I oblonged the bolts for it on the crossmeber and shimmed it with washers to get correct pinion angle. I went with an aftermarkert tranny cooler and the tranny stays at 150-180 as well.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you coming on this build? I have actually removed the ecu/harness/intake off mine and I am going carb. Already bought the fuel pump. Next will hopefully be the intake, then maybe fuel cell or 6LS box. just all depends how finances go. On top of all that, the big thing I have to do is get the transmission rebuilt. It sounds like a grind fest inside the trans tunnel when it is in gear.

Quick Reply: s10 5.3 fueling problem