Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

LQ4/4L80E swap.... first fire up.... no luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4/4L80E swap.... first fire up.... no luck

I've got my swap all done and everything seems to working very well. Turns over good, oil pressure is ok, I've got 65lbs of fuel pressure at the rails, good spark but no fuel is getting into the engine. I pulled the plugs and no gas smell at all. I do have 1 code P1336 Crank position sensor variation relearn fault but the reason is for that is cuz its not the original PCM with the engine. (I have the fix for that)

This engine has sat for at least 7 years with gas in the rails. when i cleaned this engine up I removed the rails and injectors and i haven't cleaned the injectors but the rails are good. Whats the chances that all 8 injectors are stuck shut????? Tonight i'll put the noid lights on them to see if they are trying to fire, if so then I'll know its just the injectors.

Anything you guys can think of that I haven't?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check for injector pulse with a noid light, 12 volt test light. If the lights blink, pull the injectors and have a shop with a bench top injector cleaning & flow testing machine. They can verify the spray pattern after cleaning. We had one local guy do a swap with an engine that had been sitting for four years. Took three cleanings to get them flowing and spraying correctly.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"This engine has sat for at least 7 years with gas in the rails."

I think we have a "winna"!
I see that being an issue on the jy engines my friend sells. He sends them to me, some are cleanable, others go in the trash. [His engines have sat no where near 7 yrs.]
When I open the bag, if that certain stink is there, I proceed w/ caution.
My first step is to see if the bench will even pulse them. No pulse = a "definite maybe".
Next I pull the baskets. Rust = junk.
We go from there.
I'm betting they are junk....
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

FYI update, tested the pulse w/ noid lights and it was good, pulled rails & injectors completely full of crap, they wouldn't even click. I got 8 used (good) ones from a friend and it fired right up, had another friend with a Test 2 scanner from GM and we did a relearn on the crank sensor and i've got no more codes either
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking Uh huh....

Originally Posted by ksths2
fyi update, tested the pulse w/ noid lights and it was good, pulled rails & injectors completely full of crap, they wouldn't even click. I got 8 used (good) ones from a friend and it fired right up, had another friend with a test 2 scanner from gm and we did a relearn on the crank sensor and i've got no more codes either
btdt! :d:d
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

thanks again for the help!