Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car won't take gas but is empty

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't take gas but is empty

As the title describes. When I try to put gas in the car it's as if the tank is already completely full and it just spills back out of the tank, yet the tank is nearly empty.

Charcoal canister has been replaced, and it needed to be, but that didn't seem to solve the issue. It will typically take gas for the first few fillups after the tank has been de-pressurized but then goes back to not taking gas anymore, like there is pressure building up and it's not being vented somehow.

Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe a purge valve or something? I'm ready to drive the car off a cliff because I can't ever go anywhere without fear of not being able to get gas in it.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check purge selonoid on the intake
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Will do. I forgot to mention it is throwing a P0440 code.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

most likely its the vent sol. purge is usually mounted by the motor. should be right by the charcoal canister.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back. Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid Check and/or replace the sensor Check and/or replace the purge valve Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0440
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back. Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid Check and/or replace the sensor Check and/or replace the purge valve Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0440
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, so I assumed it was still throwing the same code, but it's not. The code is P0443, so it does sound like the purge valve on the motor now. I'm guessing the other things I fixed took care of the P0440.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The evap solenoid on the motor shouldnt have anything to do with the car not taking gas.

On top of the fuel tank there is a charcoal canister that has a normally open vent solenoid. If the canister or the solenoid is packed/malfunctioning you wont be able to add fuel to the tank.

There is also a check valve inside the tank on 99+ cars welded to the fuel filler nipple. Check to see if this is free. I shoved a fiber optic camera down the filler hose, but you can easily use a coat hanger. Be gentle with it.

I just went through all of this. My charcoal canister was packed.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

evap vent solenoid is stuck closed so it cant let the air escape as the fuel goes in ! very common issue . if u have access to a scanner that can test the vent test it and listen for a clicking noise by the tank ! if no noise the solenoid is stuck or a power issue . 99% of the time its a stuck valve and thats why the code is kicked and no fuel can get in

Quick Reply: Car won't take gas but is empty