Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

PTFE lined hose without carbon liner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTFE lined hose without carbon liner...

Ok, so there's a bunch of rumors out there that you should not use PTFE lined hose that does not have a carbon liner because without that, the hose will not be electrically conducive and your car will blow up...

I mean seriously, there shouldn't be any air in the fuel system and without air, there can be no fire. Also, the typcial ends of the fuel lines are aluminum AN fittings that fit inside the PTFE liner, thereby creating an electrical ground at the engine and the pump.

Anyway, I am using Fragola 6000 series PTFE lined hose and it does not have the carbon liner. Apparently, Summit sold me an older batch because their new stuff does have a carbon liner. I spoke to a Fragola tech and they said I will not have any issues using this hose and the only reason they now have it is because some folks will not use anything but the carbon lined hose.

Really don't feel like redoing my fuel system now...

Was the old rubber fuel lines electrically conducive? To my knowledge, rubber doesn't conduct electricity...

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not as much as the car can blow up, but the movement of fuel through the line can build up static electricity. This static can then try to seek a ground to the stainless outer covering by arcing through the Teflon liner, eventually making a hole in the line.

As you know, rubber is an insulator, so it is not an issue at the heavier thickness the rubber liner typically is.

If you are building a car that warrants a fuel system of this caliber, you likely have $40K plus in it, why risk a fuel leak/fire by cutting corners.... Do it once & do it right.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Yeah, i've got a lot more in it than that, but the whole reason I went with PTFE was to prevent leaks and seeping caused by deteriorated rubber line. After shelling out over 300 bucks for fuel line, now I'm hearing that even PTFE isn't good enough. Now you have to use carbon lined PTFE. Just seems like I can't catch a break with this car.

I've never heard of anybody having perforations due to arcing from static electricity from standard PTFE.

It's not like I used crap. I'm using Fragola 6000 series, jacketed, stainless steel PTFE which now they sell with carbon liner. Seems I got the older version when I ordered from Speedway Motors (not Summit as I previously stated incorrectly).

Fragola tech support said it should be fine and that they've never heard of any static issues when using in automotive fuel line applications.

Guess I'm going to roll the dice on this one. Probably no worse than using the potentially leaky rubber line....
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I use is Fragola. I can see how it could happen, but I have not heard any verified first hand accounts of it happening.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hardcoresoldier
All I use is Fragola. I can see how it could happen, but I have not heard any verified first hand accounts of it happening.
Well, apparently Fragola lines are now carbon lined. So, if the inside of the Fragola hose you use is black, it is the conductive core. Mine is white, so not the current version.

I guess it's a roll of the dice.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****, I don't even remember what color mine is....isn't that racist or some **** like that? haha

Quick Reply: PTFE lined hose without carbon liner...