Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Need some help with gas pump shutting off early when filling

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with gas pump shutting off early when filling

Looking for some help on this one. It's a 2005 Silverado, I removed the evap entirely but I'm not sure how much that is contributing to my problem. In the first picture is the way that I set it up. I am assuming that the gray ports at the front and rear of the gas tank are just open vents, no check valves. Am I right about that?

In stock form, the front one was setup with a T, going up to the filler neck breather and the other going somewhere to the evap cannister I think. So when I removed that stuff, I just took the front port and the rear port and teed those together, running below the gas tank cross member. Everything was working great until I went to go put gas in the truck. The pump will run nice up until it adds 1.5-ish gallons. Then it turns off, I wait and put in .2 more gallons and it shuts off again. The longer I wait before filling again, the more it's able to get in, but not much. It will take me 10 minutes to do 5 gallons.

This is how I had it.

My friend and I pulled the bed back off tonight to look at it and try to figure something out. What we did find is that there was gas in the T'd line running from the front port to the rear, where it dipped below the cross member in that low spot. So we changed it up and tried running a line above the cross member to eliminate the low spot for the liquid to sit. I went to the gas station... no change.

I came back and we tried something else, added a T inline with the new line we just ran, and vented that one up to the filler neck area also. Basically two vents running in parallel. I ran back to the gas station... still no change. The pump shuts off early. That's how we left it for the night, ran out of time.

Those that have done custom setups, do you see anything wrong here? I never had a problem with it when it was a fully stock pump. If you blow down the filler breather line, it is clear. I did notice that there is a brass orifice in the line up near the filler neck. Maybe that small hole is not allowing enough vapor out?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

A common issue w/ the original vent...
Google is your friend. [In this case, Bing.]
http://www.bing.com/search?q=2005+Si...ZI&form=MOZSBR
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you may have read, the stock vent system is not exactly my problem since I don't have any of it anymore. So in this case google was not much of a help. I'm wondering if having the two lines running along the filler are still not enough ventilation while it's filling.

My friend's 6.0 S10 and Blazer gas tank doesn't have any other vent beside the filler neck one and he has no problems. So I think something is kind of weird. I'm going to try pulling out the brass piece from inside the stock vent line and see what that does. The hole is really small in it so I'm sure that's limiting the air.

Quick Reply: Need some help with gas pump shutting off early when filling