Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3

Swapping in a 5.3 ls into my 70' Nova then going turbo.

Have been reading that the proper way to do the fuel system in regulator after the rails. Mostly reasoning that the injectors cause a "hole in the system" by the opening of each injector, thus leading to a drop in pressure at the rail.

I will be running factory LS1 rails so it would be easiest to run as such:
fuel cell--> to (2) external pumps--> y'd into one line after pumps--> into bypass regulator (fuel return out bottom of fpr)--> line out other side of fpr to rails (keeping stock LS1 FPD for injector "waves") ....& boost reference fpr

So if I set the intial fuel pressure at idle with the vac/boost reference disconnected I would technically compensate for the loss of pressure due to injectors opening in the system. correct?

then more thinking outload: Injectors opening is dependent on rpm...the more rpm the bigger the "hole in the system" thus the more loss of psi. boost referencing 1:1 would make a rich condition theoretically. So it should compensate for the loss in psi after the FPR caused by the opening of the injectors.

obviously the motor would get tuned and any lean condition would get tuned out if the 1:1 boost reference couldn't cover for fuel.

so would the way I have this set up in my mind work just fine on my setup?
if not....why not? more or less asking if for any real world experience with this setup.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boruskarloff
Swapping in a 5.3 ls into my 70' Nova then going turbo.

Have been reading that the proper way to do the fuel system in regulator after the rails. Mostly reasoning that the injectors cause a "hole in the system" by the opening of each injector, thus leading to a drop in pressure at the rail.

I will be running factory LS1 rails so it would be easiest to run as such:
fuel cell--> to (2) external pumps--> y'd into one line after pumps--> into bypass regulator (fuel return out bottom of fpr)--> line out other side of fpr to rails (keeping stock LS1 FPD for injector "waves") ....& boost reference fpr

So if I set the intial fuel pressure at idle with the vac/boost reference disconnected I would technically compensate for the loss of pressure due to injectors opening in the system. correct?

then more thinking outload: Injectors opening is dependent on rpm...the more rpm the bigger the "hole in the system" thus the more loss of psi. boost referencing 1:1 would make a rich condition theoretically. So it should compensate for the loss in psi after the FPR caused by the opening of the injectors.

obviously the motor would get tuned and any lean condition would get tuned out if the 1:1 boost reference couldn't cover for fuel.

so would the way I have this set up in my mind work just fine on my setup?
if not....why not? more or less asking if for any real world experience with this setup.
"Have been reading that the proper way to do the fuel system in regulator after the rails. Mostly reasoning that the injectors cause a "hole in the system" by the opening of each injector, thus leading to a drop in pressure at the rail."

Yes, Install the regulator after the rails. You are correct in your reasoning. As the demand for fuel goes up, the regulator cuts off fuel return to the tank.

"I will be running factory LS1 rails so it would be easiest to run as such:
fuel cell--> to (2) external pumps--> y'd into one line after pumps--> into bypass regulator (fuel return out bottom of fpr)--> line out other side of fpr to rails (keeping stock LS1 FPD for injector "waves") ....& boost reference fpr"

Only one fuel pressure regulator, after the rails. Y the line going into the rails, this will prevent fuel pulsations and starvation to the last injectors in line.
The inline regulator is not boost referenced.

"then more thinking outload: Injectors opening is dependent on rpm...the more rpm the bigger the "hole in the system" thus the more loss of psi. boost referencing 1:1 would make a rich condition theoretically. So it should compensate for the loss in psi after the FPR caused by the opening of the injectors."

Yes injector opening is dependent on RPM,

"So it should compensate for the loss in psi after the FPR caused by the opening of the injectors."
this statement should read "BEFORE" the FPR.

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-13-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Teching In

But it's a bypass type regulator... (Here is the one I was looking at http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/13301/10002/-1 )So it has inlet , outlet and return all on regulator. I think you thinking of a two port regulator where :
Fuel cell-two pumps- y into rail and line off rail into the regulator and return out the other side.

Don't f-bodies have the regulator in pump and the FPD on the rail for injector pulse dampening?

I am gonna boost reference the inline regulator which will be the only regulator.

Also ls1 rail has only one port so how would I run a line in and a line out to regulator ?

Last edited by Boruskarloff; 08-13-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This regulator is for carbureted fuel systems. Is only adjustable from 3 to 20 psi, read the over view.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/13301/10002/-1

This one is adjustable from 30 to 70 psi for Fuel injected.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027...oductId=756927

Yes the F bodies have the regulators mounted in the pump module, easily removed.
Attached Thumbnails FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3-img_1009croped.jpg   FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3-img_1012croped.jpg   FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3-img_1010croped.jpg  

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-14-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Teching In

AHH my bad meant to type 13101 which is a EFI reg.

Quick Reply: FPR (bypass type) before rail? Turbo 5.3