Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure drops @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure drops @ WOT

On my 2014 Camaro 1LE I am consistently seeing fuel pressure drop from about 60 psi to the low 50s on a WOT run in 3rd gear (see attached). Car is stock except for a Rotofab CAI and SCT X4 tune and still under warranty. I'm trying to figure out what the most likely point of failure is here and if I should seek a warranty repair or if I need to be looking for an aftermarket solution. Does anyone have any experience with this on a basically stock setup?

Thanks,
Larry
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pressure drops @ WOT-fuel-pressure.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: csv
Fuel pressure.csv (117.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

shitty stock fuel pressure regulator would be my guess
Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

either regulator or fuel pump, possibly restrictive fuel filter...

cheapest replacement would be the filter. then regulator, then pump.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you compared to other factory cars to see if they behave the same ?

Is there any indication the engine is running lean because of a loss in fuel pressure ?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is a 4th Gen but mine will drop about 8 psi from idle to redline. Shows no signs of going lean and everything looks good though
Old 01-13-2016, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Have you compared to other factory cars to see if they behave the same ?

Is there any indication the engine is running lean because of a loss in fuel pressure ?
I haven't had access to other factory cars. I need to run it in stock tune to see if it still happens. If it does, I'll talk to the guys at the dealership. According to the manual, it should maintain fuel pressure and gave a list of things to check and then replace the pump if the others are OK.

I don't have a wideband to know for sure but I am getting a bunch of knock retard right when the pressure drops so my concern is that it is going lean.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Ran with stock ECU, it had more knock retard than the mail order tune, and the fuel pressure behaved the same. I asked the dealership if the fuel pressure drop is normal and they say it is. So now I'm getting about 60/40 saying not normal vs normal. Clear as mud.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tell them it is detonating and to fix it. It must be throughing a code right?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by handyandy496
Just tell them it is detonating and to fix it. It must be throughing a code right?
Actually, I haven't had a CEL so I haven't looked for codes but the SCT clears the DTCs every time you load a tune. I went back to the tune I liked most last night so I won't make any more changes and I'll check codes after this tank of gas. If it throws a code on this tune, I'm pretty sure it'll do it worse stock.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

A regulator could be faulty, you could have a dirty filter, or the pump could be failing. All possible, but...

Pressure drop in a fuel line is directly related to the velocity of fuel through the line, just like flow in a pipe. When you send more fuel through the regulator path during normal driving conditions, the volume of fuel demanded by the motor that flows through the feed line to the injectors is lower. When that's the case, in a bypass-style regulated system, flow through the path to the injector has a low velocity and therefore a low pressure drop. When you go WOT for a period of time, the injectors relieve the pressure at the end of the system and pump flow preferentially flows toward the rails/injectors instead of the regulator. The (typically) longer flow path of fuel causes more pressure drop in the stock lines.

Most people don't notice this because they don't have a FP gauge or wideband on their car... but you'd be surprised how many cars suffer this from the factory. Of course, the characteristic is mostly compensated for in the factory tune. OEM tunes add more fuel in strategic places to accommodate.

I'd bet if you did nothing but change the feed lines to the motor to a larger size, you'd see less pressure drop. And if you put a fuel pressure regulator closer to the motor with a return running the length of the car, your pressure drop would level out even more.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

How much fuel pressure loss at WOT is acceptable? 5psi? 10psi?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
How much fuel pressure loss at WOT is acceptable? 5psi? 10psi?
I'm no expert, but as long as that pressure drop is expected and accommodated for in the PCM appropriately, you can suffer 10+psi drop at WOT and still be fine. For example, if you consistently drop pressure over a known time at WOT, you can play with VE or PE to accommodate it. When I got my car tuned at a shop in the Northern Delaware area, they nailed 12.6-12.8 AFR through my dyno pulls. Later, I discovered that my fuel pressure drops at WOT. But they had already accommodated this inadvertently by tuning to AFR rather than fuel pressure.

The real problem begins when your tune accommodates it, but you do WOT pulls through 2nd vs 5th gear... because you're not sweeping through the RPM as quickly and some cells may have expected to have more fuel pressure than they actually do due to the slower sweep.

Something else to consider is the injector behavior at different pressure drops.

So there may not be a limit to acceptable fuel pressure drop at WOT, but 0psi drop is best.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure drops @ WOT