Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Pure Methanol Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pure Methanol Question

First let me say I've done hours of searching, my question is, what kind of fuel mileage are people getting running pure meth? I could only find one thing on line that said switching to meth and changing nothing else will result in a 50% decrease in fuel mileage, and that was from some random car review site. Not what i would call or think is solid information. Just hoping to hear from some people who run pure meth and have done some street driving and have a real world idea of what kind of mpg they get. Building a all motor 5.3 based engine my self and wanting 12.5:1ish compression and as i was pricing race fuel in bulk i noticed how cheap Meth was and starting researching. Saw a guy who went from 5xxhp on a blown set up to 808 from the switch and was impressed. So now I'm curious as to how bad the fuel mileage could be. Thanks ahead for the responses.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fue...ison_chart.pdf

Quick search revealed this.

Cliff notes:

Energy content:

Gasoline: 112,114-116,090 Btu/ga

Ethanol (E100): 76,330 Btu/gal for E100 (g

Methanonol : 57,250 Btu/gal

Roughly half of Gasoline, And about 70% of E85.

You could maybe get some of this back with more aggressive Timing/Running leaner, I'm not sure if it would be noticeable though. I would figure on half the gas mileage of gasoline, and you will need Double the Fuel pump/injectors/rails/lines to make the same power.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

50% is a good number, but you can also tune Methanol fat and make more torque resulting in more a little more power and little less MPG.

Quick Reply: Pure Methanol Question