Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Cheap Injector Flow Tester DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Injector Flow Tester DIY

I purchased some cheap 42LB injectors off Ebay and after reading some threads about potential flow matching problems I wanted to test them.

So I build a simple and cheap injector tester and thought I would post it here.

I found a hose that fit tight on the rail end of the injector and hose clamped it on. Then I took a 2L pop bottle (Internet says these are good for over 100psi) and threaded/hot glued a hose barb fitting in the cap. I also threaded/glued a air fitting in the bottom of the bottle.

Next I used a cheap Arduino micro board and a relay board and connected them to a injector electrical connector and battery charger.
I wrote a program that pulses the injector 4 times a second at 75% duty for 30 seconds.

To test the injector I put some fluid in the 2L bottle (Mineral Spirits) and connected the air line with a regulator and set it to 35PSI. The bottle might be good for more pressure but I didn't want the glued fittings to blow out so 35PSI seemed good.

I put a 500ml water bottle under the injector to collect the spray and ran the program.

After the 30 second run time I marked the bottle at the fluid level and tested the other injectors to see how close the volume was at the end. Everything looked good.

Attached it a video of the operation

Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Haha thats good stuff. I did something similar in college to see if my injectors were clogged on an Formula FSAE car, 1 plastic bottle per injector.

Quick Reply: Cheap Injector Flow Tester DIY