Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

1999 LS1 Camaro No Pressure at Rail

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 LS1 Camaro No Pressure at Rail

Ok long story but here goes....

I have a 1999 Camaro that was a V6 that I swapped a 2000 LS1 into. I had a donor car that I removed the following from:
  • Motor
  • Transmission
  • Engine Harness
  • Body Harness
  • Fuel Lines
  • PCM
  • Rear End

The 2000 LS1 was a running and driving donor. Ran strong. In my 1999 v6 I put a higher output fuel pump (racetronix ls1 upgrade) and ran the motor on that for a while without issue. Now that I have everything swapped over (including v8 fuel lines into my car) I am getting 0 pressure at the rail. The dash is clear except a check engine light for no egr valve. I checked all grounds (3 on driver side head, 1 on passenger head, passenger body to motor mount, battery to body, and I think a few others I can't remember). I am not getting a security light. The motor will crank and crank, but it doesn't give any pressure. I tried to turn key several times to see if that would build some pressure but it didn't.

I'm thinking it has to do with the gas tank. Is there any differences with the fuel tank itself (excluding pump)? In the V8 lines there is a "T" just before the fuel filter coming from the tank. I am wondering if there is something that is recirculating the fuel from the pump right back into the tank. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump engage. The strange thing is I hear it fade out. The best way I can describe it is, when I turn the key it seems to engage but it detects it isn't building any pressure and shuts off. I tried switching a few relays and verified my uses were all good.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thoughts on what it could be?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Unhook your fuel line as close to the tank as you can and see if it sprays when you turn the key on.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I disconnected fuel line just after fuel filter and gas sprayed out when I turned the key to on. Is it possible the gas is recirculating back into tank instead of rail?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

You running a vette regulator?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I figured it out. I swapped the fuel assembly from my v6 with the fuel assembly in the v8 and I now have fuel pressure at the rail. There must be a check valve in the assembly of the v8 that is not in the v6 assembly.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The v6 has the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail at the engine, with a separate return line back to the tank. The v8 has the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump assembly. The only thing on the v8 fuel rail is the PULSATOR assembly(it smooth's out the injector pulses), that's the round thing on the cross over pipe you've looking at thinking it was a pressure regulator. The v8 does not use a return line from the rail. On the v8 there are lines running up to the engine, The larger 1 is FUEL, the smaller one is from the PURGE canister and connects to the PURGE valve on the intake manifold.

Sorry but I can't remember for sure but I think the v6 has 3 lines running up to the engine. The larger 1 is fuel, 1 smaller one is from the PURGE canister and one is for the fuel pressure reg return. I hope this info helps. good luck grasshopper.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone. I swapped the fuel assembly from the v8 donor into my car and I have good fuel pressure now.

Quick Reply: 1999 LS1 Camaro No Pressure at Rail