Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help the NOOB read his plugs please

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help the NOOB read his plugs please

Just purchased my first 4th gen. Going over the car before putting any real miles on it. I pulled the plugs on the drivers side of the motor last night. (Had to see how you guys get the pass side plugs out on utube so those will come out tonight) The car has some mods, Texas speed cam/long tubes/lid/full slp exhaust. The shop that installed these components dyno tuned the car as well. The plugs look lean to me. There are some tiny black dots on the porcelian. I know that when you start to torch the electrode on a plug you can get this type of reading. The electrodes do not look like they have any damage/melting. I have only gone WOT once with this car so far. It runs hard for sure. I have the dyno sheet from the tuner. Says it put down 412 whp. What do you guys like to see for plug color on a properly tuned car? Thoughts on the black specs?? TIA -Patrick
Attached Thumbnails Help the NOOB read his plugs please-plug.jpg   Help the NOOB read his plugs please-plugs.jpg   Help the NOOB read his plugs please-texas-speed.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by tr87386
Just purchased my first 4th gen. Going over the car before putting any real miles on it. I pulled the plugs on the drivers side of the motor last night. (Had to see how you guys get the pass side plugs out on utube so those will come out tonight) The car has some mods, Texas speed cam/long tubes/lid/full slp exhaust. The shop that installed these components dyno tuned the car as well. The plugs look lean to me. There are some tiny black dots on the porcelian. I know that when you start to torch the electrode on a plug you can get this type of reading. The electrodes do not look like they have any damage/melting. I have only gone WOT once with this car so far. It runs hard for sure. I have the dyno sheet from the tuner. Says it put down 412 whp. What do you guys like to see for plug color on a properly tuned car? Thoughts on the black specs?? TIA -Patrick
This plug reading is meaningless. The only thing you could hope to see from used plugs of unknown mileage and tune are HUGE problems. Since you don't have those, you would need to start with fresh plugs on the current tune under specific driving conditions. For example, if a used plug showed severe detonation, how would you know if that indicates the current state of the motor, or just one dyno pull while the previous owner was tuning it?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
This plug reading is meaningless.
This.

Quick Reply: Help the NOOB read his plugs please