Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

5.3 to LQ9 6.0 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 to LQ9 6.0 engine swap

I have a 2000 GMC Z-71 that came with a 5.3 and I am putting in a 2004 LQ9 6.0 from an Escalade.
I know I have to use my intake, but was wondering if I can use the injectors from the 6.0 and if they would be better ..... and will my tuner have to adjust for them?

THANKS for any help!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the 6.0 injectors the same physical size as the 5.3 injectors? It is possible they could be the same injector? You could probably do a little research on line, and see what the stock replacement injector for each engine is, to determine what the capability of each one is. There are a couple different heights of injectors used in LS engines over the years, like EV1, EV6 etc. If they are the same size, and have the same connector it will be easy. Just swap them into the stock fuel rail and plug them into the connector. If they are not you can probably still make them work, but may have to use spacers, change to a different fuel rail, swap out the pigtails etc. Yes, the tuner will need to adjust for them, just like your tuner will need to adjust for the change in displacement from 5.3 to 6.0. If you have the ECM from the LQ9, your tuner could pull the injector data from that, to get all the correct settings for the 6.0 injectors. Otherwise he will need to look them up, no biggie either way. Both of those things are really easy to tune for. Its not like trying to get a monster cam to idle smoothly or anything like that.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, but somebody on another forum said they are probably the same and I will check the numbers on them .... which I didn't know about.

Quick Reply: 5.3 to LQ9 6.0 engine swap