Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

AEM inline 50-1005 problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default AEM inline 50-1005 problems ?

How many others are having issues with this crap ?

I've seen some mention leaks. One of mine has developed a loud noise. It was intermittent at first, but is there almost all the time now, and pressure has dropped over time with this noise.
The other pump that runs with it appears to be fine. So far they both have less than 1000 miles runtime, less than 3 months use. ( weekend car that gets raced occasionally )

They replaced a pair of 044's that ran fine for 10+ years....I knew it was a risk changing, but decided to give it a go based on their higher flow claims.

And has anyone had issue with getting warranty from them ? I bought from one of their UK re-sellers...who say I have to deal with AEM in the US, and so far the guy I've been emailing seems clueless.

It's pushing me towards throwing both of the pumps away !
Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

One of mine has developed a loud noise.

It was intermittent at first, but is there almost all the time now, and pressure has dropped over time with this noise.

The other pump that runs with it appears to be fine.

So far they both have less than 1000 miles runtime, less than 3 months use.

I bought from one of their UK re-sellers...

who say I have to deal with AEM in the US,

!
I think I'd be reminding the re-seller of the consumer rights act 2015 and getting them to repair or replace.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Happy Jim
I think I'd be reminding the re-seller of the consumer rights act 2015 and getting them to repair or replace.
I've emailed trading standards to see exactly what their take on it is.

I can see no reason that I should be having to communicate anything with the US when my purchase and as such contract was with these morons in the UK who are trying to fob me off.

Although at the minute, the sheer stupidity of the "tech" guy I've been emailing with from AEM...leaves me with absolutely zero confidence in them.
I think the best option is just to throw them in the bin and go back to the 044's and add a 3rd pump. Although a refund would of course be preferred.

Places selling bullshit product really **** me off...made worse when there are clueless idiots working in their tech department !
Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Happy Jim
Interesting reading and it does seem it would very much apply here. I've emailed Fuel Performance highlighting this to them and that I will be returning the pump to them for either replacement or refund.
I shall not be communicating further with anyone thousands of miles away about the matter and the pump will be removed over the weekend and returned to them next week.

I'll just have to take a hit on the other pump which seems to be ok at the minute, but there is no way I'll be trusting their **** on my car to retain it.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

how do you have the pump installed?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

In for info. Maybe 50 miles on mine. So far so good.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by subeone
how do you have the pump installed?

In a way that it should easily last 100k.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

gravity fed i assume then. Never have had any issues, nor with the Bosch 044, which is what the AEM is. Hope you get a refund. Time for a 4303.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:04 AM
9 Second Club

4303 is **** and noisy. And the AEM is not an 044. I've no idea who makes them, or where they are made, but in no way are they an 044 other than being visually similar on the outside, and clearly far less reliable.

I've ran the 044's for over ten years without issue, but I wanted more flow. The AEM's claimed this and with similar packaging I decided to give them a go.
I've fitted 044's to many cars over the last 20 years or so...never had a failure or problem.

By using another pump I broke my simple rule.

Use an 044. And where an 044 doesnt flow enough...fit another 044. Repeat as necessary.

And after reminding the UK seller about UK law as per Jim's suggestion they have already offered a refund when I return it to them next week. Although unbelievably I'm still going back and fro with the moron at AEM about getting an RMA number. Although that's their process, **** all to do with UK law the seller has to abide by.

And had I been aware of that I would never even have entered into communication with AEM directly. The guy responding from the tech department really has no notion about the technical side.

And I hate draining bloody fuel tanks !
Old 05-06-2017, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

After refitting the 044's.....still noise, something not right.

What in the name of **** ?

These filters were spotless 1000 miles ago, pump fuel car, never anything strange in the fuel etc etc

One filter completely clogged, the other very light signs, but for most part clean. It's still wet but it's almost like a putty/paste

Both pumps fed directly off a 1.5" diameter rail, fed from the base of the tank by 1.5" pipe. Whatever goes into one, would surely have to go into the other.

One pic is now, the other of both filters in January....late January !
Attached Thumbnails AEM inline 50-1005 problems ?-dsc_0429.jpg   AEM inline 50-1005 problems ?-filters-january.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive never seen a putty like that . Are these pre and post filters respectively ?
Old 05-09-2017, 03:40 AM
9 Second Club

No, those are the filters before each pump.

The only thing I can think of...but no idea how, is that some of the white tissue below it in the photo, managed to get either into the tank or the rail that feeds the pumps.

It was all apart over the winter, but no idea how any would have got in to it !

Quick Reply: AEM inline 50-1005 problems ?