Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injectors keep losing pulse HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Injectors keep losing pulse HELP

Ok so here's the problem... bought some new 160lb high impedance injectors from a vendor on this site. Got em put in and ran e85 through them which they are capable of running. Well the car had an issue and was down for 2-3 months. Got the car back together and running again. Now when the car runs for a while and I shut it off I lose injector pulse and the car won't start again till it cools down. I replaced the ecu redid all grounds put a new wiring harness in etc. I ended up calling the injector company and told him what was going on and he said the injectors were gummed up and over heating causing the ecu to shut off the injector pulse. I should have known not to leave the e85 in the system but I did so anyways I sent the injectors back to be cleaned and got them back. Got em hooked up and the same exact thing is happening only now I getting a ton of smoke from one side of the exhaust and is not burnt oil it's just a ton of gas being burnt like an injector is stuck open. We put a noid light on to confirm there wasn't pulse when we have the no start issue and it isn't lighting up. We then trigger the injectors using a snap on scanner and the car will fire right back up after that. What the hell is going on??? We replaced ALL sensors etc. could I just have a bad coil in an injector causing the over heating of the injectors? I'm at a loss and have no clue what else it could be.

Last edited by blown6.0L; 10-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Here's my fueling setup

Twin walbro 450s with -8an feed and -6 return using a aeromotive boost referenced fpr
160lb high impedance injectors from HPI
Running e85
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you get and maintain good fuel pressure. If you had the injectors cleaned they should have been able to verify they were okay or trashed. Do an ohms test on all them and they should all be almost the same (depending on the meter quality.)

If you have a system you can program easily. I'd grab another set of injectors even if they are smaller and just see if you can get the car to idle well or if they are large enough maybe some light driving. This will eliminate some part of the this puzzle and if it does't fix it you can test another part next.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I will ohm them and see. I'm trying to avoid having to buy another set just to see if that fixes the problem since I don't have another set to test
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, don't buy more. Thought you might have your old ones or something around to test with. You might try swapping out the power relays, might be some same sizes ones in other things you can swap and see if that changes things. Basically you find a way to test parts or sections of the system until you find the real issue.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Teching In

No I don't have any more unfortunately. I replaced all relays already so that can't be it. My tuner did originally put a base tune in the car using the gummed up injectors so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll have him come back out as well and see if maybe he was compensating for the lack of spray?? The weird thing is when he was tuning it he said the fuel pressure was crazy low but the afr was dead nuts. It was tuned to get it started using only like 35lbs of pressure. Could lack of fuel cause them to be over heating?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the fuel running through the injector cools them.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question Doubt that...

". I ended up calling the injector company and told him what was going on and he said the injectors were gummed up and over heating causing the ecu to shut off the injector pulse"
Old 10-23-2017, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
". I ended up calling the injector company and told him what was going on and he said the injectors were gummed up and over heating causing the ecu to shut off the injector pulse"
Really I figured he was right with all the stories I've been reading about e85
Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The 160s are known to have issues with heat.

What are you coolant temps when the injectors shut off?
There is a place in the tune that allows you to set a coolant temp to disable fuel. Is it possible you're overheating?
Old 10-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Teching In

No, no over heating issues. We checked that with the scanner just to make sure the gauge was working correctly. I will have the tuner come back over and see if he can maybe see something in the tune to cause it.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Teching In

I spoke to the company I bought the injectors from and they said they sent me a new pair instead of cleaning mine due to time. We are going to go through the tune and see if anything is funky like JoeNova said and give the injectors a little tap to see if it frees the one that is stuck open.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Teching In

just in case anyone runs into this in the future, it ended up being a stuck injector and also the wrong injector data was used. all is fixed and car is running like it should.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it was all worked out, I'm contemplating in buying some injectors from them. Anyways gonna stay away from the Bosch 160's, too many bad reviews (not seller, but Bosch fault) about overheating issues.

Quick Reply: Injectors keep losing pulse HELP