Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Convert from '98 metal tank to '99+ plastic tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Tell us how that works out...
Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Do our cars have a low gas light?
Yes, it will light up "check gauges" when the needle gets to E.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool then that should work the way I have it set. I set it to E when I have about 2 gallons to go.

I talked to someone at Battery Tender and was told to send it in an email so that they could get it to the right people. Waiting to here back. Also, had a customer come in with a great deal on a lithium, but won't believe it until we get to test out the claims. The money is just to low to accept before seeing it.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

One way to save quite a bit of weight is to go to a light weight windshield. I just had mine replaced and there is at least 30lbs difference. I had to readjust my headlights afterwards because the frt end went up that much. I was really surprised, the replacement is easily 1/4 inch thinner but it meets the DOT spec?????? I hope. Dam thing is made in china too. Without a doubt with me alone in the car I can feel the difference, I do like it. Because it so thin it is very easy to see through too.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, this does look awesome. Might have to check that out one day. Here is what I found.

For those of you looking to shave weight from your race car, Optic Armor guarantees that these windows can reduce as much as 75% of the weight that you would normally have with factory glass. Dunham told us, “On a ’93-02 Camaro/Firebird, you’ll drop 47 lbs. from the factory front and rear glass by switching to Optic Armor.”

Going a step further, Optic Armor claims they are an amazing two-hundred-fifty times stronger than the OEM glass. A claim that Dunham makes on the companies behalf due to the incredible amount of man hours spent researching and developing each and every Lexan window that they produce.

From- http://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/p...armor-windows/
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

If going on a street vehicle, don't expect it to be legal. Lexan windshields are not street legal.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If going on a street vehicle, don't expect it to be legal. Lexan windshields are not street legal.
While the windshields are not DOT certified, the side and rear windows are, according to Dunham. For this reason, it’s not recommended that you replace your factory windshield on a street-driven car, especially one that sees regular street use. Even though there are some great benefits and qualities to Optic Armor’s replacement windshields, Uncle Sam is very strict about what can and can’t be used on the street. Again, this goes back to the windshield being a structural part of a unibody vehicle and government regulations play a part into that decision.
I was trying to stay away from Lexan, but this is intriguing. I remember reading that GM reduced the thickness of some glass windows to save weight.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Mine isn't lexan, its real glass. I questioned its strength compared to the factory glass but they claim it meets the DOT spec.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like the hydramat sizes are generic. Which are compatible with our tanks and fuel pumps?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...mat/hydramats/
Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
One way to save quite a bit of weight is to go to a light weight windshield. I just had mine replaced and there is at least 30lbs difference. I had to readjust my headlights afterwards because the frt end went up that much. I was really surprised, the replacement is easily 1/4 inch thinner but it meets the DOT spec?????? I hope. Dam thing is made in china too. Without a doubt with me alone in the car I can feel the difference, I do like it. Because it so thin it is very easy to see through too.
Whatever youre smoking put it down and step away. I went from an aluminum to an iron block and didnt even have to adjust my coilovers, no height change. 30 pounds? Nope again.

For those interested in optic armor, here ya go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...l-f-r-how.html
Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Well you would know
Old 12-03-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

PM me if you want info on the DOT light weight glass, I'm not going to put up with this guys attitude.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no doubt the newer chinese glass saves weight, Im not arguing that point, it is thinner by several peoples account. But it wasnt 30 pounds saving and it didnt make your car sit higher.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

So I've already got a Racetronix 255LPH kit + hotwire system. How much of that system is compatible with the '99+ tank conversion? I'm thinking if I can find the right size hydramat, that even though there's more cost that it's less potential frustration down the road.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
So I've already got a Racetronix 255LPH kit + hotwire system. How much of that system is compatible with the '99+ tank conversion? I'm thinking if I can find the right size hydramat, that even though there's more cost that it's less potential frustration down the road.
I would contact WS6store (a sponsor) for similarities if any. For example, they told me that the bulkhead has been upgraded to handle more amps because the larger pumps such as 340 or 450 draw more amps. My 98
Racetronix kit purchased in 2004 would have to be upgraded. The bucket is different as well in 98's compared to the 99-2002.

WS6 told me last week that they are working on an upgraded kit for the 98. So the new upgraded 98 kit combined with the c5 fuel/filter pressure modification kit means I can run a 340 and still not have to upgrade my fuel lines and be good to 750 rwhp. The combined kits cost far less than a dual pump kit and no downtime sending in your fuel module.

But best to check with them first for specifics and timeline. Sounded as if it is in the works now.

IMO, there are other less costly weighs to reduce 20 lbs of weight than a plastic tank. I think a set of skinnies in the front gets you there, and/or a set of lites in the rear.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I would contact WS6store (a sponsor) for similarities if any. For example, they told me that the bulkhead has been upgraded to handle more amps because the larger pumps such as 340 or 450 draw more amps. My 98
Racetronix kit purchased in 2004 would have to be upgraded. The bucket is different as well in 98's compared to the 99-2002.

WS6 told me last week that they are working on an upgraded kit for the 98. So the new upgraded 98 kit combined with the c5 fuel/filter pressure modification kit means I can run a 340 and still not have to upgrade my fuel lines and be good to 750 rwhp. The combined kits cost far less than a dual pump kit and no downtime sending in your fuel module.

But best to check with them first for specifics and timeline. Sounded as if it is in the works now.

IMO, there are other less costly weighs to reduce 20 lbs of weight than a plastic tank. I think a set of skinnies in the front gets you there, and/or a set of lites in the rear.
I'll probably leave the fuel system as-is and come back to it when an upgrade is needed. This is being built as a street car that will be excellent for HPDE, no desire at all for drag-specific features.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'll probably leave the fuel system as-is and come back to it when an upgrade is needed. This is being built as a street car that will be excellent for HPDE, no desire at all for drag-specific features.

Sorry - didn't notice until your last post that you are building the car for HPDE. Understand completely why fuel starvation is a concern of yours.

However, might review this post concerning the plastic tank being lighter. OP there say weight is the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-write-up.html
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Sorry - didn't notice until your last post that you are building the car for HPDE. Understand completely why fuel starvation is a concern of yours.

However, might review this post concerning the plastic tank being lighter. OP there say weight is the same.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...-write-up.html
I did see that link, and saved it for future reference
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
1/4" thinner than the glass that's only 3/16" to begin with?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
This would save about 25 to 30 pounds for $350-$400.
Somebody ripped you off. You can get quality lithium batteries that are sub 2lbs for just a hair over $100

Quick Reply: Convert from '98 metal tank to '99+ plastic tank?