Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

How TO, DIY injector flow testing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How TO, DIY injector flow testing.

Using Dan Follet's instructions and some guidance, I have a how to create a injector tester using and Arduino video here,

Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You'll need to get a MOSFET and get rid of the cheap relays. I had a lot of problems at higher frequency with the relays sticking and eventually burning out.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You'll need to get a MOSFET and get rid of the cheap relays. I had a lot of problems at higher frequency with the relays sticking and eventually burning out.
I have a MOSFET for when I go to dynamic testing, for simple static flow testing a relay is sufficient. This is simply on for 10 seconds, or whatever it takes to not overfill my 250cc cylinders, off. No frequency.

Per a conversation I had with Dale Follet though, I'll probably power the relay separately with it's own 5v source.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM
Restricted User

No need to power it separate. Arduino will handle the on/off. The injectors will need more than 5v to operate properly. Give them a dedicated 12v source and pass the grounds through the relay/MOSFET, not the power.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Teching In

No need to power it separate. Arduino will handle the on/off. The injectors will need more than 5v to operate properly. Give them a dedicated 12v source and pass the grounds through the relay/MOSFET, not the power.
That's how it's setup, relay trigger's ground for the pre-programmed time, injectors are wired constant hot.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 AM
Restricted User

In the next couple of months, I'll probably be posting the plans/code for my injector tester.
LCD screen, dials to adjust RPM/duty cycle, full static and dynamic testing with 1000cc tubes.
Total cost is about $100 for tubes, wood, arduino components, etc.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:08 AM
Teching In

In the next couple of months, I'll probably be posting the plans/code for my injector tester.
LCD screen, dials to adjust RPM/duty cycle, full static and dynamic testing with 1000cc tubes.
Total cost is about $100 for tubes, wood, arduino components, etc.
Sweet!

At the moment it's all over my head, I struggled mightily just to get this working lol.

Now that I have my feet wet though, the possibilities for everything are endless!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Restricted User

Most of Dale's stuff is pretty entry level. Use the code to learn the basics. He does a decent job of having arduino do simple tasks that are useful, but hasn't quite gotten there on some of the more complicated stuff. He's tried to hit me up a few times for my code to make arduino and megasquirt communicate together. I use it for closed loop idle control on microsquirt, and for feeding data from extra sensors back into micro so it will datalog them alongside its own parameters (oil pressure, 2nd wideband, water pressure, pre-intercooler pressure, EGT, etc).
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Have my cabinet mostly built.
Attached Thumbnails How TO, DIY injector flow testing.-2.jpg  
Old 10-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Final product, for static testing, here,

final code here, still working on dynamic,

int ledPin = A5; int switchPin = A0; boolean lastButton = LOW; boolean currentButton = LOW; int switch2Pin = A1; boolean last2Button = LOW; boolean current2Button = LOW; void setup () { pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); pinMode(switchPin, INPUT); pinMode(switch2Pin, INPUT); digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); } boolean debounce(boolean last) { boolean current = digitalRead(switchPin); if (last != current) { (delay(5)); } return current; } boolean debounce2(boolean last2) { boolean current2 = digitalRead(switch2Pin); if (last2 != current2) { (delay(5)); } return current2; } void loop () { current2Button = debounce2(last2Button); if (last2Button == LOW && current2Button == HIGH) { /* * Here is where the static flow is. currently set to * 10 seconds of on time. This will need changed for * different flow rate injectors so you dont overfill * your graduated cylinders. */ delay(500); digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); delay(10000); digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); } }