Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is there a max pressure limit on injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a max pressure limit on injectors?

Hello. My first post here. Looking for some advice.

I have an 86 Camaro with TPI EFI system. I'm using a Megasquirt ECU. I'm running Ford SVO 24# injectors.

Some background: I'm having severe hot fuel problems. Fuel gets circulated through the hot fuel rails all the time until I can hear the fuel boil in the tank. I tried routing gas lines through the rear of the engine to avoid the radiator's fan hot stream of air, but that didn't help. Fuel pressure drops as a function of the fuel temperature.

So my next attempt at solving this is to plug the fuel rail return and install a new FPR under the car along with the return line, and have the fuel rails at a constant pressure. I found that a C5 Corvette Fuel Filter/Regulator is a very nice and practical solution. it would make my install much easier. The problem is that this FPR runs at 58psi instead of the 38psi these injectors are rated at, and is not adjustable. This is easy to fix in the Megasquirt ECU. As simple as changing the injector flow rate from 24# to 36.6#. Maybe play with injector dead time.

But what about the injectors? I've googled and found nothing about having a maximum pressure. Just the pressure at which they where flowed and rated. Can anyone confirm if they can handle the increased pressure without reducing their life?

Thank you.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure there likely is a upper limit but I don't think you'll ever get there with any normal fuel pump.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

58 psi is a non-issue, most modern injectors start to not be able to open around 80-90 psi.

Quick Reply: Is there a max pressure limit on injectors?