Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

CYL. 7 lean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts
Default CYL. 7 lean?

Pulled the heads this weekend to change gaskets. My problem was on the passenger side head. On the dirver side however, cylinder number 7 looked much much cleaner than the others. There was literally no carbon build up at all. The piston was black and the chamber was too, but there was no build up at all like the other cylinders had. I should have taken a pic but i didnt.
Should i be concerned? Anything i can do to combat this? I want to be proactive. I know the airflow is likely higher in this cylinder. Should I have the injectors flowed and put the highest flowing one there?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
... I know the airflow is likely higher in this cylinder...
Hi KFX,

Curious: Why is cylinder 7 flowing "more" air? I assume you mean the ratio of this cylinder is that it's running leaner.

I think you already know the answer, but you're wanting confirmation/verification.

1) Check all ignition components for cyl 7.
2) Get it flow tested/cleaned.
3) Leak down test on all cylinders - and compare leakage from others to cylinder 7.

How many miles are on this engine?
What was the passenger side issue that made you replace the head gasket?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Common problem. That's why you see so many horror stories of people breaking at cylinder 7 (and sometimes 8).
I usually just throw the highest flowing injector in it, but in reality it doesn't help much.
If your injectors are properly cleaned, you're only getting an extra 1-2% max fuel in that cylinder instead of the 5-8% you likely need.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Hi KFX,

Curious: Why is cylinder 7 flowing "more" air? I assume you mean the ratio of this cylinder is that it's running leaner. I stated that it was running leaner, the rear cylinders are known for flowing more air because of the intake manifold design.

I think you already know the answer, but you're wanting confirmation/verification.

1) Check all ignition components for cyl 7.
2) Get it flow tested/cleaned.
3) Leak down test on all cylinders - and compare leakage from others to cylinder 7.

How many miles are on this engine? 100K MILES
What was the passenger side issue that made you replace the head gasket? i used graphite gaskets and it developed a external coolant leak. i did not retorque them like i was supposed to. I guess i might possibly could have been getting coolant in that cylinder, I doubt it tho. The gasket didnt appear to be leaking. doesnt mean it wasnt tho.

see above in bold
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Common problem. That's why you see so many horror stories of people breaking at cylinder 7 (and sometimes 8).
I usually just throw the highest flowing injector in it, but in reality it doesn't help much.
If your injectors are properly cleaned, you're only getting an extra 1-2% max fuel in that cylinder instead of the 5-8% you likely need.

Wish I would have thought of that when i was porting the heads and manifold. I would have purposely limited the flow on that cylinder. damnit.
what about one step colder plug on that cylinder along with a higher flowing injector?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

would it be worth running a crossover tube on the rear coolant ports on the head? I want to do whatever i can to fight potential issues.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Got it.

Question:

How Plausible would it be to simply run a higher rated injector in that Cylinder? for example, an injector that's rated at 2lbs more? Or w/e lb he would need to off-set the higher flow of air in that cylinder?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Got it.

Question:

How Plausible would it be to simply run a higher rated injector in that Cylinder? for example, an injector that's rated at 2lbs more? Or w/e lb he would need to off-set the higher flow of air in that cylinder?

well i'm sending the injectors to have them flowed. highest flowing ones will go on the rear cylinders. I'm going to research and see if four corner cooling. I'm going to do whatever i can to make it last as long as i can.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I know this is rigging....but has anyone ran a heat range colder plug in the rear cylinders? I just talked to NGK and the guy I talked to said its not a bad idea....thought?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I blew up cylinder 7 on NA motor and no knock....just too much heat. I would just command a little richer AFR. My personal theory is that cylinder gets hot and the piston rings butt up on a stock engine, which creates even more heat and cracks the piston and sometimes even cracks the cylinder liner... mine did both. Wider ring gap has shown to do wonders on even a stock motor. I don't really buy into the steam vent thing, I just haven't seen any real evidence to support it?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I blew up cylinder 7 on NA motor and no knock....just too much heat. I would just command a little richer AFR. My personal theory is that cylinder gets hot and the piston rings butt up on a stock engine, which creates even more heat and cracks the piston and sometimes even cracks the cylinder liner... mine did both. Wider ring gap has shown to do wonders on even a stock motor. I don't really buy into the steam vent thing, I just haven't seen any real evidence to support it?
THIs...same happened to me. OPEN the ring gap!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,524 Posts

Sounds like wider ring gaps would benefit ANY engine; not just nitrous/blown.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Any notion of the intake manifold design being a problem were dispelled years ago when Kurt tested the manifold the other way around, and 7 still ran the hottest. So ensuring no air pockets can appear in the heads, and adding a little water via the "steam ports" as they're called can only be a good thing.

It isnt an airflow or intake issue.

But a very clean cylinder more often indicates water ingress to some degree.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Any notion of the intake manifold design being a problem were dispelled years ago when Kurt tested the manifold the other way around, and 7 still ran the hottest. So ensuring no air pockets can appear in the heads, and adding a little water via the "steam ports" as they're called can only be a good thing.

It isnt an airflow or intake issue.

But a very clean cylinder more often indicates water ingress to some degree.

i picked up a steam crossover yesterday just for this. My buddy has a shop and is very well known around here for building some very fast ls powered vehicles. I stopped by last night and picked his brain. He said he always adds the four corner steam venting on higher powered stuff and boosted stuff. He keeps a handful of the truck crossover pipes on hand because they fit on the rear.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine had the cross over.....OPEN THE RING GAP!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Mine had the cross over.....OPEN THE RING GAP!
you break yours?