Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Routing of Racetronix PTFE fuel lines - Huron Speed Turbo AC Kit - Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Routing of Racetronix PTFE fuel lines - Huron Speed Turbo AC Kit - Issues

I've been trying to get my new fuel system installed for my 2001 Camaro SS M6 with a Huron Speed Turbo AC Kit, not going all that well for the routing. Switching car over to E85 thus the reason for the PTFE lines. Not too thrilled with the Racetronix PTFE fuel lines, doesn't flex all that well, about as rigid as electrical conduit.

I was/am working with a small shop (another state) he set me up with a bunch of parts. Went with the following:

- Racetronix PTFE 8an feed and 6an return (Black PVC Coated)
- Aeromotive FPR (mounted on drivers fuel rail)
- Holley Fuel Rails (feeding back of rails with Y-block)
- Aeromotive 10 micron fuel filter
- Chris1313 dual 450 pump with hobbs switch

How do you guys suggest I route and connect my feed and return to allow slight flexing for when the engine rocks back and forth. (similar to OEM) I thought I had it figured out but now I think I'm back at square one again. ugh... I don't want the lines to rub on anything and eventually have a leak and burn the car down. Had a friend years ago had that happen.

With the Huron Speed AC Turbo kit, the turbo output routes on the drivers side, so not much room for aftermarket fuel lines. The stock OEM lines are pretty close to the "downpipe" Then you have the steering shaft kinda in the way too.

I'm at wits end now, not sure what to do. I've searched for pics on here, google, and Facebook, no luck, seems people don't post up any pics of stuff like this.

Thanks in advance for any tips or pictures.

Bill

Old 07-12-2021, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree on the stiffness of the Racetronic PTFE hose. Can't imagine how to install -10an unless you route it in a complete straight routing.

I have switched some of the hose to Aeroquip -8 and -6 Startlite aramid covered hose. The Aeroquip bend radius is much shorter than trying to bend the PTFE hose. One user suggested I should have heated it first to make the bends. I kinked it in a couple of bends and as a result had to cut and install new lines.

Behind the rails is one example. Because the bend radius to so wide, the return fuel hose from the passenger side rail to the FPR on the driver side was slapping against the firewall. I replaced it with more flexible Aeroquip StartLite. Another area is the feed and return lines near the original fuel filter location. See pics below.

I used the stock hard feed line for part of the -6an return. Again, as you can see the bend radius although not too wide, still was not possible with the -6an PTFE hose. I used Aeroquip instead.

I fabbed my own FPR bracket allowing a very short hose from the Aeromotive FPR that connects the return from the FPR to the original feed line (-6an).
I still haven't replaced the -8an PTFE feed from the fuel filter up to the drive side fuel rail. Because the PTFE bend radius is so wide I had to arc the hose behind the steering up behind the brake master cylinder and the over to the driver side fuel rail (Racetronix). With more flexible Aeroqup hose you could run the hose straight up to the rail.

See pics in link.

I had trouble with the connections at the fuel filter assembly (mine Z is a 98). So I routed the hose straight from the assembly and down and to the drivers side along the same routing as the stock feed and return line. My large fuel filters is located along the frame near the transmission. See pics.

BTW: there are more flexible fiber covered PTFE hose brands but it is very expensive compared to Racetronix PTFE hose. The inner liner is convoluted allowing it to bend with a much narrower bend radius.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 07-12-2021 at 01:31 PM. Reason: edit content
Old 07-20-2021, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to tackle this project myself. I bought the twin t4 kit for my car. How are you guys going to set everything up to the fuel rails, the fuel regulator and the supply and return lines routing?

Quick Reply: Routing of Racetronix PTFE fuel lines - Huron Speed Turbo AC Kit - Issues