Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix 99-up (plastic tank) system delivered! Started install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004 | 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up Racetronix 99-up (plastic tank) system delivered! Started install

The old thread was pretty huge and pretty old, so I figured I'd post in a new one. I pre-ordered with Thunder Racing 2 weeks ago. The system showed up yesterday afternoon.

It looks good, the pump assembly and wiring harness look top notch. My buddy was cracking on me for needing an engraved, annodized pump hidden in my gas tank, but I know he's just

Anyway, I worked a bit last night and got the rear end, driveshaft, exhaust, and fuel tank out of the car. I'm also installing a set of 4.56 gears in the 12-bolt. I've heard you can do the gear install, and the fuel pump install without actually taking the rear off of the car. The way it looked to me, dropping the tank with the rear in the car should be a giant pain in the ***. But I think people have done it. Either way, I think I'll save time by yanking the rear. It made dropping the tank a piece of cake, and since I've never set up gears before, I wanted to do that work on saw horses instead of on my back.

The plan is to install the pump tonight, the gears tomorrow night, and reassemble the car this weekend. Woodward dream cruise is saturday, but I'm still hoping to have the car back together on sunday.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-19-2004 | 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I was able to drop the tank with the differential attached with no problem.
Old 08-19-2004 | 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Just recieved mine as well. Will be starting the install in a few minutes. Don't really know where all the wiring for the pump enhancer goes though.
Old 08-19-2004 | 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/206380-racetronix-99-up-pump-assembly-installed.html
Old 08-19-2004 | 05:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by toxic99
Just recieved mine as well. Will be starting the install in a few minutes. Don't really know where all the wiring for the pump enhancer goes though.
The pump enhancer should be mounted under the car near the relay on the Racetronix harness. This is the LT1 install for the relay but the F99 is pretty much the same: http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-FLT1-FPK/Dcp_1169a.jpg

Just after the relay there is a in-line connector on the red wire. There is a mating connector set included in the accessory bag with the harness. This connector set is installed on the booster and then plugged into the Racetronix harness. The grounds are common on all boosters so they can be attached to the same bolt as the relay and spiked terminal.

The input to the booster comes from the relay (female connector on Racetronix harness). The output from the booster goes towards the pump module (male connector on Racetronix harness)

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-19-2004 | 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

For now I dont think I need the pump enhancer, but it's great I have the wires to make this a simple install down the road.Very glad I waited for this pumps release.The install took all of 15 min. once I had the sending unit in my hand.Great work racetronics
Old 08-19-2004 | 10:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
For now I dont think I need the pump enhancer, but it's great I have the wires to make this a simple install down the road.Very glad I waited for this pumps release.The install took all of 15 min. once I had the sending unit in my hand.Great work racetronics
How did you like the manual?

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-20-2004 | 04:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
How did you like the manual?
the manual is what made it so easy.I never did one of these installs befor,just read the manual and befor you know it was done
Old 08-20-2004 | 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

The pump enhancer should be mounted under the car near the relay on the Racetronix harness. This is the LT1 install for the relay but the F99 is pretty much the same: http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-FLT1-FPK/Dcp_1169a.jpg

Just after the relay there is a in-line connector on the red wire. There is a mating connector set included in the accessory bag with the harness. This connector set is installed on the booster and then plugged into the Racetronix harness. The grounds are common on all boosters so they can be attached to the same bolt as the relay and spiked terminal.

The input to the booster comes from the relay (female connector on Racetronix harness). The output from the booster goes towards the pump module (male connector on Racetronix harness)
Quick question, should I hook the main "battery" wire to the battery or back of alternator? Or does it matter?
Old 08-20-2004 | 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Alternator is better = more voltage.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-20-2004 | 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Alternator is better = more voltage.
That's what I figured. Thanks
Old 08-22-2004 | 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

What is the best way to run the harness? I figured wire tied along the fuel lines, but maybe there is a better way. I haven't seen any pictures of where the wireing routes best.

Also, any word on the rail mounted regulators. I'd love to get that piece in now while I have easy access to the old regulator.
Old 08-22-2004 | 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HellOnWeelz
What is the best way to run the harness? I figured wire tied along the fuel lines, but maybe there is a better way. I haven't seen any pictures of where the wireing routes best.
Mount the relay and chassis ground as shown in this picture:
http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-FLT1-FPK/Dcp_1169a.jpg
Make sure you clean the area to bare metal with a wire brush and cover it with the supplied silicone grease to prevent corrosion.
Run battery / alternator wire along with the fuel lines up to the alternator area keeping it away from hot exhaust or areas where it might rub.
If you wish to hook it up to the battery you can run it over the transmission housing and along side the PS inner fender.
Mount the fuse holder in an accessible spot with the SS screw provided.
Secure the entire harness with the supplied wire ties.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-22-2004 | 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Mount the relay and chassis ground as shown in this picture:
http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX-FLT1-FPK/Dcp_1169a.jpg
Make sure you clean the area to bare metal with a wire brush and cover it with the supplied silicone grease to prevent corrosion.
Run battery / alternator wire along with the fuel lines up to the alternator area keeping it away from hot exhaust or areas where it might rub.
If you wish to hook it up to the battery you can run it over the transmission housing and along side the PS inner fender.
Mount the fuse holder in an accessible spot with the SS screw provided.
Secure the entire harness with the supplied wire ties.
hooked up the enhancer harness- now there's too much fuel psi. and my cars kicking ses codes.I'm getting tuned this week so it's not that big a deal .I think it happened because of the tune that was in the car already. Something to keep note of.You don't everyone going threw this. Hope it's just me with this problem.I was going for a re-tune anyway.Very happy with the system
Old 08-22-2004 | 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
hooked up the enhancer harness- now there's too much fuel psi. and my cars kicking ses codes.I'm getting tuned this week so it's not that big a deal .I think it happened because of the tune that was in the car already. Something to keep note of.You don't everyone going threw this. Hope it's just me with this problem.I was going for a re-tune anyway.Very happy with the system
None of our test systems had this problem so it is most likely something specific to your setup.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-23-2004 | 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I got my kit in this weekend. The quality of the product is great. All installed it looks OEM in every respect. All of the fittings and wiring fit perfectly. The hardest part of the install is getting the tank out, which isn't bad if you can drain the fuel. The instructions are very clear and helpfull.

Definitely worth the money if you are looking for a good pump with little hassle.

Just one suggestion, put in that picture of the relay into the directions and add a few words on where to route the harness (just like you explained in the post). I had actually come to the same method on my own but I can see where it may be confusing. I was a little worried about running the harness along the fuel lines due to the exposure to heat from exhaust components, but once I did it there was plenty of room, and I am not even slightly concerned about it now.

Oh yeah, and get the rail mounted regulator shipped. The regulator would make a great option to this kit.

Very good product.
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Mine's installed, but haven't fired the car yet. Very simple install. The "beta" manual was excellent. Again, just add some words regarding harness routing and a picture of the relay mounted by the tank.
Old 08-23-2004 | 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Murdock

Mine's installed, but haven't fired the car yet. Very simple install. The "beta" manual was excellent. Again, just add some words regarding harness routing and a picture of the relay mounted by the tank.
Perhaps some people who have installed the wiring harness can email us some nice pictures showing the relay and fuse mounting positions as well as the harness routing. We might use them in a small manual for the harness. The pictures we have here are too dark to use.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-23-2004 | 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Perhaps some people who have installed the wiring harness can email us some nice pictures showing the relay and fuse mounting positions as well as the harness routing. We might use them in a small manual for the harness. The pictures we have here are too dark to use.
I will take some pics. tomorrow and try and post them.

BTW, thanks for a great product. I am most pleased with it's ease of install and I will find out this Saturday coming how much of an improvement it makes on delivering a sufficient amount of fuel for my setup.
Old 08-23-2004 | 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by toxic99
I will take some pics. tomorrow and try and post them.

BTW, thanks for a great product. I am most pleased with it's ease of install and I will find out this Saturday coming how much of an improvement it makes on delivering a sufficient amount of fuel for my setup.
Send them to support@racetronix.com and we will edit them and add some written instructions for a complete package.

>WEB SITE<