Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Plugs fouled in one bank but not the other

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plugs fouled in one bank but not the other

I started getting a pretty bad misfire recently, so changed the plugs with the standard TR-55 @ .050". The driver's side plugs (I always do the easy ones first) were a bit ashy - like the car is running lean. but the passenger side plugs were sooty as hell - carbon fouled.

Do you guys have an idea what my problem might be? I seem to recall that the fuel is metered on a per bank basis. Is this correct? Does the ECM control spark timing on a per bank basis, too? Is this as simple as a bad O2 sensor.

My setup is an 99 SS engine with Zo6 intake, TR224 on 114, 918s, Ti retainers, ChroMo pushrods, Shaner St2 throttle body, Granatelli MAF, lid, FTRA, TB bypass mod, Jet Hot (Hooker) long tubes, off-road Y-pipe, and Hooker cat back.

Tune was done many months ago @ MTI, but the setup has changed! Everything is basically the same except the previous engine had ARE Stage 3 heads and a G5 X2. When that one spun a rod bearing, I installed the 99 LS1, but haven't gotten around to MTI to retune.

Your collective wisdom is appreciated. (cross posted to texas forum.)

Tony
Beaumont, Texas

Last edited by Tony99SS; 11-25-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure what could be causing one bank to run richer than the other. But I just wanted to point out that the plug color you are seeing is a result of the motor idleing. If you are gonna read the plugs for WOT then the motor needs to be shut down at WOT (dot let it idle) and then check the plugs.

Sounds like that bank is getting more fuel at Idle though. Have you checked your O2 readings? Sounds like an O2 problem to me as that is the only sensor that is Bank specific that I know of anyway.

Wish I could help some more.

Brad
Old 11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default RE: plugs fouled in one bank but not the other

I've spent some time today educating myself and searching the PCM Diagnostics & Tuning section here, and have concluded that I must beg, borrow, or steal LS1 edit to get some readings from the O2 sensors and ltrims. Without that info, apparantly I'm guessing, at best.

I had hoped there would be a quick and dirty solution, but there rarely is with this car. I've hardly driven it until recently, and now I'm sorting all the minor details preperatory to selling it (too many F-bods.)

I can't say for sure if the problem has recently surfaced, or been going on since the motor swap.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Tony
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Bump for Monday

Tony
Old 11-29-2004, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Could be a number of things like a vacuum leak,O2 sensors,bad injector,badcoil...You have to have a diagnostic program to monitor the sensors to tell exactly.

Nate

Quick Reply: Plugs fouled in one bank but not the other