Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Carb Vs EFI discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Most of you guys are just proving your inexperience with running carburetors.
That is all.
And some are showing their lack of knowledge about modern efi systems, and what they offer.

Show me a carburettor car that can make almost 300bhp per litre yet still be a daily driver...I know of a few turbocharged Subarus and Evos making around 600bhp on pump fuel, yet are driven daily.

Do you think fitting them with a carburettor will offer benefits ?? Not likely. Id say you would lose about 250-300bhp, and most of its driveabilty with carbs.

There are Supras and LS1's making around 1000bhp, again, still daily driveable. Do any of them have carbs ??? No.

trying to compare a stock efi system to an all out race carb setup, on maximum power only is stupid.

Compare like for like, if thats possible. Efi wins hands down.
with a carb, there are always compromises. with efi, there need be no compromises as far as obtaining optimum AFR are concerned.

No doubt some carb manufacturers and sellers will try and convince you otherwise, but fuel injection is simply better.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a point no one thinks of. FI Tubos especially. Blow-through designs are VERY hard to tune. EFI make Turbos a very reliable system. Berfore they were almost RACE-ONLY. EFI and FI go hand and hand. For Racing only, I like carbs for the simplicity they offer. And the cost is really great. For the Street EFI is way more effiecient. It makes fast cars streetable.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:16 AM
9 Second Club

All the cars I have tuned with aftermarket ecu's have been turbocharged. I have never had too much of a problem with this. Yes a n/a car would be easier, but a turbocharged one still isnt that difficult, and thats mapping to as far as 21psi so far, all on the road, with excellent results.
Given turbocharged efi production cars have been around, certainly here in the UK from the mid 80's, I dont think that it is limited to race only cars.
In fact, we havent had a production car here with a carburettor since about 1992, which is all good.

Carbs are simple, but if you have ever tuned a car with a good user friendly efi system, you will see how easy they are to work with.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Carbs are simple,
There you just told on yourself. Now we know what you really know about carburetion... just as I thought.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

A metal block with a few holes.... The operation of a carburettor is fairly simple.

But what they are to tune, is hassle, full of compromises.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
A metal block with a few holes.... The operation of a carburettor is fairly simple.
But what they are to tune, is hassle, full of compromises.
shut up
you've never tuned one
you can't even spell carburetor
Old 02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most of you guys are just proving your inexperience with running carburetors.
That is all.
Pfft... I don't have to prove anything... I have zero experience w/a carb hehe But... I do know I prefer sitting in my car on a hot summer day w/the A/C blasting looking at my latest logs and making changes... then 30 seconds to reflash

Seems alot of it comes down to what you know... I know EFI systems but not Carb cars... Carb supporters generally seem to know Carbs very well but don't know EFI very well...

To me it just makes alot more sense changing numerical values in tables in the PCM... ideally a pretty exact science (unfortaunetly not the way it really works)
Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=carburettor

Perhaps there is more than one spelling then....
Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

We use carburetor here for spelling, same difference I guess..

May as well ask is better a manual trans or a auto, chevy or ford.

Some guys can do well with carbs and hate EFI.

Some guys can do great with EFI and hate carbs.

Some guys can do well with both.

Substitute manual/auto or chevy/ford for EFI/carb in the above 3 sentences and you have 3 true statements
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work with both.
There is one situation in which port injection does have a distinct advantage over carburetion, but nobody here has even touched on it.
This tells me that those involved only have a partial grasp on either concept.
What I said about carburetion is true.
If some EFI lovers get their feelings hurt when carburetion is brought up, then that's just a character flaw.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

I am not a lover or hater of either, but recognise efi is better.

Im still waiting for any examples of 300bhp per litre carburettor powered engines ?? Or perhaps 250bhp/l or even 200bhp/l which still return good fuel economy, and total driveability on the road..

Are there any ???
Old 02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
kp
8 Second Club

My feelings arent hurt, I do very well with both
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Adkoonerstrator

white2001S10 - Instead of just saying carburetion is better at certain things why don't you try to explain why it's better. That's what these forums are for....discussion. ALOT of people, including myself, on this forum don't know much about carburetors because the vehicles talked about here come with EFI from the factory. I'm sure there are quite a few that do know about them here also though.

If you don't want to give away some secret to tuning a carburetor I can understand but, I doubt there are TOO many secrets left to them after all these years.

BTW, my feeling aren't hurt either. I've driven both and maybe because I was brought up with computers/electronics and things like that I'm more comfortable around the EFI stuff. I don't think anyone here is getting their feelings hurt talking about carburetors it's HOW some people are saying something and not presenting reasons for it that is getting people a little "upset".
Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question

...There is one situation in which port injection does have a distinct advantage over carburetion, but nobody here has even touched on it...
Are you talking about low rpm torque as would be experienced during daily commuting...?
EFI does rule for big torque down low.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive been following this tread and I have to jump in. I have played a lot with both on a lot of different cars and there is NO clear answer. Is one better then the other? No.

Its like asking: Is Ketchup is better then Mustard?

One is not better then the other. They are just different.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

With carburetion there is a very significant advantage to making power in the RPM range that the intake manifold runners are tuned at. This is due to a significantly higher mass or weight of intake charge. The more mass in the runner, the more effect pressure waves have on this mass. The end result is more cylinder filling during a limited range of engine speed.
Also, given the same average outside air temp, a carbureted system will always have a much cooler intake charge feeding into the head port. This temperature difference increases the density of the charge as would be measured on the top side of the intake valve. This increase, along with the increased density due to pulse tuning of a more massive charge adds up to a greater pressure differential when the intake valve opens... allowing the same head port & valve to flow a greater mass in the same given time duration.

Besides the obvious weight, reliability, and simplicity advantage a carburetor offers, you see there are times when they can produce more power as well.

During low-load high-vacuum driving, the fuel from a carburetor will be flash vaporized by the low pressure existing in the intake manifold, so there is really no problem with atomization or significant distribution problems in most manifolds. They can run very cleanly and return great mpg numbers when set up properly.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I hinted at earlier, the most significant real advantage that port injection has over carburetion (IMO) is that port injection does not require a high velocity in the intake manifold or head port in order to keep fuel in suspension. Fuel atomization and distribution will remain about the same for port injection no matter what happens with velocity in the intake runner.
This allows someone with port injection to use much larger intake ports without killing too much low-RPM power. This shows it's advantage at higher RPM once past the tuned RPM range of the intake runner itself. In other words you can get away with much slower velocity in the intake manifold and head port and reduce restriction at high RPM.

A carburetor requires you to maintain good velocity throughout the intake manifold and head port so that fuel doesn't drop out of suspension at lower engine speeds.

a sheetmetal intake and 240cc intake port heads is not a very streetable combination with carburetion unless you swap to a IR multiple carb set-up,
but would have no problem being streetable with port injection.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

EFI is like a carb (they both do the same job) with dozens of jets instantly available as required for any vacuum/rpm/temperature condition encountered during driving.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
EFI is like a carb (they both do the same job) with dozens of jets instantly available as required for any vacuum/rpm/temperature condition encountered during driving.
Technically that's not true as a carb provides an air-fuel emulsion, where injectors spray fuel droplets.
In application there is also a big difference between a wet-flow induction and dry flow.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

I would say most efi systems do not spray droplets. That is one of the benefits of fuel injection, its ability to fire a good spray at all times, not just when airspeed is high.

its the carb that is more likely to "spray droplets" of fuel.

That is another reason why efi cars produce much cleaner emissions.

Quick Reply: Carb Vs EFI discussion