Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Stock 2001 LS1 Fuel Rail Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock 2001 LS1 Fuel Rail Question?

I'm new to this LS1 Fuel stuff. What is the small black plastic cannister type thing that has a male nipple coming off of it, on the intake. It's on the drivers side near the front of the intake & has a rigid black plastic line coming off the back & goes into the side of the intake? Is it a fuel pressure regulator or? Where would the line coming off the nipple normally go to? Can this assembly be removed & plugged or must it stay? Thanks fella's. Gar
Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canister purge solenoid, for vapour.
Pollution gear, leave it how it is.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Yes, goes to your charcoal canister in the rear of your car. This canister stores fuel vapors from you gas tanks, and send them to the engine to be burned when necessary. Keeps fuel vapors from Depleting the ozone layer.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Default Vapor Purge Cannister Solenoid...

If it was removed, would it affect a stock 2001 LS1's performance or effect the computer in any way? Do race engines keep them, simply for enviremental reasons? Thanks, Gar
Old 02-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Launching!

it is emmissions only. However, it is part of the system that keeps your fuel tank vacuum, and without the vaccum, you may get a check engine light.

No, I get rid of the extra lines. I don't mind the canister itself, but the extra line running the length of the car just gets in the way. I plug the port in the intake.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default So...Maybe...

I was thinking of this system backwards...It is basically just a vent line from the fuel tank forward to the engine(which is at a higher location than the fuel tank, in a car), and these vented vapors are not exposed to open air, but are theoretically burned up when introduced back to the engines induction system. That little black solenoid module on the engine(with the nipple on it) is probably not much more than a pressure relief valve? As vacuum or pressure builds in the fuel tank, that check valve opens or closes accordingly? I am having my computer re-programed for other reasons, could'nt I also have the "vacuum" lite deleted as well? Thanks, Gar