Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add acetone to your gas?

I saw this link on another car board

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Not sure what to make of it. Anyone tried this? My daily driver might get a test done on it.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

no thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

looks kind of risky to me...is you wish try it out and post your results
Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Banned

I wanna know if this actually works, and if you get any extra engine performance out of it. SOMEONES gotta know.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't seem risky given the small quantities of acetone that are used. I have a Buick GN and many of the Buick crowd pour tons of Xylene and Toluene (as much as 30% of a tank). I use Xylene because it cleans your injectors like nothing else and is actually a part of Sunoco 94. Xylene is a really strong solvent, I think its stronger than acetone. I doubt I will hurt my car with a few ounces of Acetone. I will give it try.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Xylene is the way to go, I have used if for years now. I only mix 1 gallon of it to a tank, but it makes a hell of a difference. I used to have to use it on my old blower car, and it would take the detonation away.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

I can believe it. On Mythbusters they showed how a old broke down engine that ran better when mothballs were added to the gas.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Xylene seems to work pretty well, I've tried it in my GN, 1 gal of Xylene to 5 gals of 93 octane pump gas. But you have to add a lubricant with it, like a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Steve
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

where can you get some of this XYLENE???? is it safe for o2 sensors???
Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I go to the local Sherwin-Williams store and buy it in a 5 gallon drum.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:43 AM
On The Tree

Before you try it make sure you pour sand in the intake to polish everything up Afterwards to make sure you get all the sand out, disconnect your oil line and start your car to flush it all out, reconnect, replace oil with 50/50 mix of soap and water, and go make a couple passes down the strip. Then put the oil back in, pour some acetone in your tank, and wow all your freinds with your now 6 sec beast.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000TARiceKilla
I wanna know if this actually works, and if you get any extra engine performance out of it. SOMEONES gotta know.
it appears to work, I know a bunch of people are trying this out now.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/1989...on-acetone.html

a bit of digging brought up this. Personally I am curious about this from a data gathering method.

also a interesting patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4376636.html was posted here http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143848
Old 04-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

We used them is our dirt cars back in the day. You talking about shooting out a flame. It does boost the octane quit a bit
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I don't mean to dig up old posts, but I just had to reply to this one.

Adding acetone to your gas does work!

If your fbody is a daily driver like mine, we all know that the 350 is a complete fuel *****, and henceforth to save money you must do everything in your power to increase your gas mileage. After reading those articles about acetone, I figured, "Hey, it's worth a shot" and so now I'm here to post my results.

For me, primarily I do a LOT of city driving, meaning about 95% city driving, 5% highway. And I'm not the conservative type either. In fact, every time I fill up my gas I think to myself... okay dude... this time, you're NOT going to whomp the throttle AT ALL and TRY TO SAVE GAS! But then of course I never actually go through with it What's the point of having 300 horses if you never use them?

Anyways, to get a baseline to start with the experiment, I recorded my mpg for 5 tank fulls of gas, and came up with an average of 15.9 mpg. Pretty dismal, I know. I then added 1oz of acetone per 10 gallons of gas for the next refill. I drove around town for a day and wasted half a tank of gas.. and refilled it.. and gleefully awaited my new mpg with the added acetone. It came to a staggering 15.7 MPG!!

Wait.. 15.7?? That couldn't be right. I thought to myself and figured.. hmmm.. maybe the acetone didn't mix in well enough? After all I only drove around for a day.. (and to be honest, I was somewhat mashing the pedal more than what I normally would, in excitement of the experiment)... maybe there wasn't enough time for anything to happen? I also went back and reread the articles.. and found out.. somewhere along the lines the author said 1oz per 10 gallons.. but then for the rest of his articles he stated 2-3 oz per 10 gallons. So for the refill, I upped the acetone dosage and added a 2.5oz per 10 gallon ratio.

I then took it easy driving around town... only stomping the gas pedal when some jerk driver was pissing me off..which happend quite often, strangely... and then about 4 days later, I came to my next refill. I poured in the gas, topped it off, recorded the gallons it required to fill, and then recorded the miles I had driven since the last refill, and then divide the miles by the gallons I had used.. and came up with.. 16.7 mpg!

WHOA!

My mpg had risen by an ENTIRE ONE MILE PER GALLON! None of my driving habits had changed either. I went and reread the articles again, and everything the author stated was factual thus far. He stated that the first time you put in acetone, you'll notice a slight increase in your mpg... and then each time you fill up your tank and continue putting in more acetone, your mpg will steadily rise.

I wanted to know if the "steadily rise" part was true or not, so I continued my experiment.

One week later, driving primarily city miles again with occasional lead-foot syndrome... and after some mods I installed and doing more than a handful of performance runs to see how effective they were... I refilled my tank again.. did the math.. and came up with.. 17.4mpg! Just simply amazing! If I hadn't done all those performance runs like I did, I'm positive my mpg would have been slightly higher even, say 17.6 or 17.7.

So, what does this all mean to the average joe with a 350 trying to save gas?? We'll take my mpg results as a senario.

If our car gets 15.7mpg, and let's just say each time we fill up we use exactly 15 gallons of gas, then that means with each fill up we'll get 235.5miles per tank.

Now, with the acetone added (and only 2 tanks later) our car gets 17.4 mpg, if we use 15 gallons of gas that means we'll get 261 miles per tank.

For the sake of simplicity we'll say that we fill up our tank once a week. The mpg with the acetone compared to w/out the acetone is a conservative 25.5 miles per tank difference, which may not seem like a lot, BUT

25.5 miles a week, times 52 weeks a year, equals 1326 miles that we're not driving.

And 1326 miles, divided by 15.7mpg, equals 84.5 gallons of gas we're not having to buy!

And with 94 oct gas costing about $2.40 per gallon or more, 84.5 times 2.4 equals $202.80 back in our pockets every year!

Keep in mind all of this is in general, of course. However, I'm positive that if it was even more accurate, we'd be saving even more money, because premium gas costs more than $2.40 per gallon, because we drive enough to fill up more than once a week, and because the acetone added will even further increase the mpg gained because this experiment was written up kind of early!

And with all that said and done, I'm pretty darn happy with a 17.4mpg-city car, when before my car on a lucky day would barely top 16mpg. I'm waiting for next week when I fill up again. to see what my mpg is that time.. and also, I'm going to do some actual HIGHWAY driving the next weekend when I go to Wisconsin International Raceway.. and I'm going to compare my previous 24mpg highway w/out acetone.. to what it will be with acetone.

Acetone
Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

where did you get the acetone from??? Sherwin Williams????
Old 05-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Old Drag Racer

Xylene is a really strong solvent, I think its stronger than acetone.
Actually Xylene is a medium strength solvent and Acetone is a High strength solvent. Both are used for thinning epoxy paints and resins. I've never heard of mixing Acetone with gas for increased performance but I'm sure it will do a helluva job at cleaning the injectors should you run it through them. The Xylene and Toluene are used because both of them have a very high octane rating. However, as someone has mentioned, they are both a very dry fuel that needs to have some lubricant added if they're run in more than about 20% solutions. Marvel mystery oil is the lubricant of choice for many but good old transmission fluid works as well. Just don't get really carried away with the Acetone should you try it and I think you'll be OK.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

A mechanic friend told me Marvel Mystery Oil is just ATF...don't know if it's true.

I might try the Acetone sometime.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

ive been using acetone for a couple of months now and it works for me...im not gonna quit any time soon...buy mine at walmart.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I get my acetone from the Home Depot. Any place that sells paint will have acetone I'm sure.

Just got back home from a VERY long highway trip... averaged 27.2mpg, driving at speeds ranging from 65-70mph. Before adding the acetone, the best I could ever average was about 24mpg. This stuff works!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a little Excel sheet I made a few years back for mixing Toulene or Xylene:

http://www.cofba.org/users/reckless/racegas.xls

Quick Reply: Add acetone to your gas?