Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM slowhawk he is in your area and might be able to help you out
Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
What the hell my Mechanic is now saying using used fuel pumps isnt smart something like they dry out and dont work good anymore.. is this true? BTW it is the fuel pump and they want 600$ for a new pump ******* highway robbery!!
I just went through this same thing two weeks ago. The $600 is due to the fact that GM doesn't sell you the pump, they sell you the whole module. You can check out this thread for links to vendors of the pump alone. You can get it for around $60.

I went the Racetronix route, since I was dragging the damn tank out anyway. Now, it looks like I need to go back in to remove the freakin regulator!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Been there done that. By the time the dealer got thru with me it was nearly $1300 in labor and cost of fuel pump module to replace the pump (stock).

Around $600 for the pump and the rest in labor, because they have to drop the tank.

As everyone else says...either replace it (just the pump) or order a Racetronix Kit (about $269).

I replaced the second pump myself (Racetronix Kit) when we did the ATI supercharger install and if I can do it anyone can. I cut a hole in the rear deck rather than dropping the tank however.

The main thing is to remember that gas and electric sparks don't mix very well, so disconnect the battery and be careful when working around the gas tank when it is open after you remove the pump. (Droplights create nice explosions if dropped near gas fumes if the bulb breaks.)

Some show-you-how sites below:

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/
http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1792

As for the mechanic telling you not to buy used because the seals dry out. I don't recall the new pumps come shipped in a container of gasoline to keep the seals from drying out, unless the pump is filled with some type of lubricant inside of the pump to keep the seals pliant and that quickly dissolves in the gasoline tank as soon as the pumps starts after installed.

Maybe someone can chime in who has taken a pump apart to verify.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-24-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

If I were staying in tank I would do a twin bosch pump install... Better than walbro..
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

slowhawk slowhawk slowhawk
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well my dad got a reman for 250$ it's not my choice btw.. but whatever gets me the Camaro back thanks for the help guys
Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We can offer a lower performance pump assembly w/o harness if someone is looking for a factory-type replacement. The complete assembly is $119.99 right now. It can be specially ordered through Thunder Racing P/N RX-F99-FPA-B. Same PnP as the HP version.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh well my dad got a reman for 250$ it's not my choice btw.. but whatever gets me the Camaro back thanks for the help guys
I could of used a new pump and installed it for around $250-$300 total.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Yea.... i left work, went to get gas (was on E),found i left my wallet at work (first time for everything i guess ) started heading back to work got about 1 mile away sitting at a red light and my car just went nuts sputtering.. luckly i was next to the mall and pulled in and parked... walked back to work at 9PM (ugh) borrowed a buddy's car that i work with.. went to my house.. got the can of gasoline and filled up the car with a gallon or so.. still didnt start at this time my buddy was leaving so i called him as my cell was dieing saying come back it wont ******* run!... i figured out that the fuel pump wasnt priming when i turned the key.. great my pump is fucked ... had it towed @ 11PM last night... mechanic is looking at it monday. oh well only had the car for a month and a half just my luck for the pump to go
atleaste it happend now and not later down the road when your spraying
Old 09-05-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A REMAN!!! WTF. that **** will will be dead in a year, tops. dude, everyone tried to tell you what to get, and now I believe you may have got screwed out of some money. what year is your car. the 98's don't have the buckets so yu could hvae gone with any of the throw in pumps. i'm just guessing its a 98 because hopefully the bucket would have kept you from frying the pump because it keeps the pump surrounded with fuel even when the tank level itself gets low. just be careful with that reman stuff. i'd rather have took the $60 used one than a $250 reman. the thing with fuel pumps is you can get a cheap one, but even if it has a lifetime warranty, when it goes, you still have to do all that work, or pay someone else, and most mechanic shops are going to do it by the book(ie R/R exhaust, drop the axle, R/R the tank),and charge you accordingly, or, they'll cut a trap door in your car, and STILL charge you full labor, and not tell you they cut a trap door. and like I said, some of those remans are only good for about 12 months, so keep that into consideration.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Teching In

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend, So I cut the lid to the top of my tank pulled out the guts and checked wires I get all good checks but the wires that connect to the fuel pump are not hot when I turn on my key I am stuck I will try messing withe the fuel system on HP TUNER to see if I can get some where but I am still open for suggestions.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by partain
I had the same thing happen to me this weekend, So I cut the lid to the top of my tank pulled out the guts and checked wires I get all good checks but the wires that connect to the fuel pump are not hot when I turn on my key I am stuck I will try messing withe the fuel system on HP TUNER to see if I can get some where but I am still open for suggestions.

Thanks
Chris
Did you check the fuse?