Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Liquid filled or Dry gauges, whats better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Liquid filled or Dry gauges, whats better?

I just ordered some plumbing parts from Summit and they arrived and noticed that the fuel pressure gauge I ordered is a liquid filled. Now I dont mind expect the way Im going to mount it is going to make it seem like there is a crack in the gauge. Why do they make liquid filled gauges and whats the advantage over dry? Is it to absorb the vibrations of the engine that a dry gauge cannot do?

This is what the gauge looks like, you can clearly see how there is a "crack" like appearance but its the liquid that settled to the bottom of the gauge.

Dixit
Old 12-30-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I just found the answer.

Liquid Filled Option
Liquid filled gauges help absorb vibration and pressure spikes, increasing the service life of the gauge. The dampening action of the liquid reduces pointer flutter and lubricates the internal parts, dramatically reducing wear in the movement. Glycerine is the standard fill fluid and provides the best performance in most applications. Silicone has a low viscosity and works well when extreme temperature fluctuation or icing is expected. The fill liquid must be compatible with the gauge application.

Quick Reply: Liquid filled or Dry gauges, whats better?