Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

returnless fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default returnless fuel system

I understand that the LS1s use a returnless fuel system, what are the reasons or benifits of a fuel system like this. I'm doign an ls1/t56 swap and i'm surious if i should swap the ls1 gas tank or use my stock gas tank which has a return. I've done searches on this and it really seems 50/50, some swap the tank others dont. If there really is a reason behind the returnless system i would like to retain it.

Thanks Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Coal Mining Director

Returnless system = cost and enviro reasons.

Return system = performance reasons.

If you have a return system....use it.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

cool, thanks for the reply, i talked to a few of my friends that are big in the 03/04 cobra world and they said stick wtih return style, we all want it, if u have it use it. cool with me that makes my life much easier and cheaper

mike
Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Returnless=too much line pressure drop with the reg in the tank. I'm out of fuel with the 42 lb injectors maxed at 5000 RPM. I'm converting to return style ($$). Returnless is supposed to prevent heated fuel from being returned to the tank which would increase emissions.

Last edited by DrX; 01-25-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Launching!

I'm doing a Fast 90/90 swap with Fast fuel rails. I'm going to run the fuel in the front drivers side rail, a crossover in the rear, and fuel out the passanger rail. If stock is returnless, where do i go with fuel from there? I assume a regulator, but then where? And if there is a regulator in the tank, can i still run an adjustable one up front? I have a 98 SS, is the regulator in the tank or is that just 99 & up?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BBBBadSS
I'm doing a Fast 90/90 swap with Fast fuel rails. I'm going to run the fuel in the front drivers side rail, a crossover in the rear, and fuel out the passanger rail. If stock is returnless, where do i go with fuel from there? I assume a regulator, but then where? And if there is a regulator in the tank, can i still run an adjustable one up front? I have a 98 SS, is the regulator in the tank or is that just 99 & up?
I believe you should have a return line. FPR is in the tank on the return line(#8 in pic).
Attached Thumbnails returnless fuel system-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Launching!

If i have a ajustable FPR off the rail, do i need to get rid of the one in the tank?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not exactly sure who it is on here but he used a stock V6 lines(return style). I need to look into it more and according to Racetronix you need to take out the FPR out of the tank.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BBBBadSS
If i have a ajustable FPR off the rail, do i need to get rid of the one in the tank?
Yes, if your goal is a more free flowing fuel system and to allow the external FPR to have full control of FP. Probably not as critical because it is on the return line but it would interfere under some conditions.

Quick Reply: returnless fuel system