Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What is a voltage amplifier and is it neccesary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What is a voltage amplifier and is it neccesary?

I currently ran my car on the dyno for the first time with a D1SC Procharger, while tuning. I have a stock in tank and the procharger supplied inline. Running mototron 60s.

We are hitting 560rwhp/540rwtq by 5800-5900, trying to target 6300-6400.... but the fuel is nosing over at around 5400. We are tuning SD... and cant get more fuel out of it up top. The fuel filter is brand new, replaced within a hundred miles of the dyno runs.

It was mentioned to me about adding a 255 intank, and keeping the inline too, and I also heard something about a voltage amplifier? Never heard about one.. and was curious what it is and what it does. Sounds to me like some sort of way to "overclock" a pump. I did a search here and didnt really find anything.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avengeance
.....heard something about a voltage amplifier? Never heard about one.. and was curious what it is and what it does. Sounds to me like some sort of way to "overclock" a pump. I did a search here and didnt really find anything.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
You're absolutely right, that's basically what it does. A fuel pump's volume is tied to its speed. Upping the voltage makes it spin faster and produce more volume. A voltage booster, such as what MSD offers, will increase pump output 30% or more. I believe their unit can drive the pump to 20 volts or more. (its adjustable) The units are usually wired to increase output when the engine is under boost.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by andereck
You're absolutely right, that's basically what it does. A fuel pump's volume is tied to its speed. Upping the voltage makes it spin faster and produce more volume. A voltage booster, such as what MSD offers, will increase pump output 30% or more. I believe their unit can drive the pump to 20 volts or more. (its adjustable) The units are usually wired to increase output when the engine is under boost.

Cool deal.. thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Do a lot of people use these voltage boosters? In my scenario I think we may hit around 580-590rwhp when its all said and done.... Im wondering if its really a neccesity for me or if I should just drop in a 255 and run it with the inline... then see what happens.

What do you think?

Is it really safe to run a voltage booster with a pump? I mean.. shoving a lot more voltage into a pump sounds to me like taking a risk.... a risk of failure. Im not too sure of the possibility of that... but if I can make it work with a drop in pump and the inline then Im not sure if I need the voltage booster.

Thanks again for the response... hope ya dont mind the few more Qs.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

When hooked up to only activate when under boost I think they're pretty safe to use on a regular basis. You're really getting close to the limit for a 255 pump. The supplied inline pump is a 255, but drawing through the stock pump which is usually ok. If it were me and wanted to keep a fairly quiet pump I'd drop in a Walbo 255 high pressure intank, which I think is a GS340 but don't count on that, and the install the MSD 2350 voltage booster. It has a built in map sensor and remote voltage control **** assembly. Watch your fuel pressure and only increase the voltage enough to keep the pressure from dropping off, plus a volt or so. 30% more volume from the Walbro would equal or slightly exceed a bigger pump like an A1000 which is plenty of fuel at that power level.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome.. thank you.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

Oh one more and then Im done.. should I keep the current inline and run the in tank? Or should I just use a in tank and run the voltage booster?