Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car stalls when shift into reverse. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls when shift into reverse. Help!

Help! My 99 idles very ruff and dies out when i start car and shift into reverse.
In drive it does move but runs ruff. I bought the car from some one who had the car sit for a long period of time. It has very low miles and has not been driven much. So far I have changed out fuel filter, shot injector cleaner and added fuel additives. Any suggestions on what to try next. Possibly drain gas completely out start with new fresh gas? Maybe something with fuel pump?
thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

First, I would change the spark plugs and maybe the plug wires. It could be bad gas or possibly some moisture condensation inside the gas tank. I would try draining the tank, and also relieving the fuel pressure at the fuel rail as well.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Teching In

im having the same problem with my 2002. i have already changed the spark plugs but its still stalling i think its gotta be a fuel injector problem. let me know if you figure it out before me.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Teching In

to day i took off the fuel rails and injectors an messed with them for a lil while when i put them back on ther problem was gone. if it happens again im just gunna swap the injectors.. try this see what happens
Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

hey, mines been doing this too...i thought it may have been the tune, all work was done before my ownership, but it seems to idle to fast, maybe 1000 rpm in drive. anyway, when i shift to rev., it dies sometimes. starts right back up. also pulls in drive bad. it baffles me, hoping a higher stall conv. does the trick.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

I would look at your IAC...I know when my friends went bad, her SS would stall everytime you tried to put it in D...Just a thought if you havent already found the problem..
Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i changed out my tb my 01 z28 would stall out, but i just adjusted the idle and now its fine, there is a allen screw where the linkage hooks up. hope this helps....but if it idles high and still stalls out when shifting to reverse i dunno...sry

Quick Reply: Car stalls when shift into reverse. Help!