Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix Fuel Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racetronix Fuel Pump Install

I'm going to be installing onee just after winter here breaks.

I'm thinking of using the trap door meathod.
Anyone have any helpful tips on doing this?

Using this meathod, is it still do-able to change out the wiring harness, with the plug & play one that comes with the Racetronix kit??
Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 6" hole saw worked great. Will never have to pull the tank again. Then made an aluminum plate with gskt. material to seal it. Hope this helps.

Just be careful not to cut too deep and get into the tank and lines.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk

Using this meathod, is it still do-able to change out the wiring harness, with the plug & play one that comes with the Racetronix kit??
DO NOT use the trap-door method. ALWAYS drop the tank and thoroughly clean the tank out before installing a new pump.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop the tank, I just did mine & it wasn't too hard. Make sure you remove everthing in the way before removing the straps so you are not tempted to bend them a little as I did causing mucho difficulty getting the bolts back in during installation. There was zero dirt in the tank so I might have gotten away with the trap door method but you won't know if the tank is clean unless you remove it. If the tank has any dirt in it at all you will degrade the performance of that new pump.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Trying to gauge the level of contamination in a fuel tank is like looking into a tall black mug and trying to gauge how dark your coffee is. Until you rinse all the contents of the tank through a clean white filter cloth you will never know how dirty the tank actually was. Bottom line is flush the tank out a few times and let it dry before installing a new pump.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 01-27-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some good points I didnt think about!

I guess dropping the tank is going to be the best meathod after all.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

(Don't mean to dis the sponsor, and it is always best to take the safe course) I have changed perhaps hundreds of pumps, the white cloth is a great idea and if you find contamination probably best to pull tank and steam it out, but you could still inspect the tank in the car (through the trap door) with said cloth and a flash light. IMO the access hole should have been put there from the factory. I contemplated literally for months whether to put a 6" hole in my Firehawk (no one will even know it's there cept me and you) and now I don't regret it one bit and can have my pump out in about five minutes flat.

Peace
Old 01-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default Trap Door Location

Can anyone give a little guidance as to the exact location of the trap door...I would love to drop the tank, do complete rinse, buy the Racetronix kit and do it right....however, time and money constraints won't allow it. The problem I am having is even after fuel filter replacement, I get plenty of fuel pressure at idle, and steadily drops with more throttle. I just want to at least look at the "from the factory" pump and consider the kit after that.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I just found my answer to the trap door location. However, if anyone can give any advice as to why I am getting this problem..help would be appreciated. The driveability problem is that when opening up the throttle a little bit (especially when cold), it falls flat on it's face, then picks back up and goes hard. The guy that checked diagnostics and fuel pressure basically said it is starving for fuel, but when I open the throttle all the way, it flat out goes. Help?? I feel like I am rambling.........

Here's where I found my other answer and a great link to the overall pump replacement:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd...umpinstall.html
Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Mike
I see your starting with your winter mods...in prep for the big one.
Dont use the trap door method! I know you dont want to cut up your babby. Drop and remove the tank, so you can clean it out real good. Best way to do it. When i installed mine it was not bad at all.
It can be done just by lowering the exhaust and pulling panhard bar and supprot rod. That was about the worst part. You will need to jack the car to route the wire harness as well.
The most problems that happen when a new pump is installed is the tank never gets a good cleaning, which will lead to nothing but pump problems. Mine has been working great with no problems for the last year.
Have you thought of going with the dual racetronix setup, new item?
Later Chris
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Hey Mike
I see your starting with your winter mods...in prep for the big one.
Dont use the trap door method! I know you dont want to cut up your babby. Drop and remove the tank, so you can clean it out real good. Best way to do it. When i installed mine it was not bad at all.
It can be done just by lowering the exhaust and pulling panhard bar and supprot rod. That was about the worst part. You will need to jack the car to route the wire harness as well.
The most problems that happen when a new pump is installed is the tank never gets a good cleaning, which will lead to nothing but pump problems. Mine has been working great with no problems for the last year.
Have you thought of going with the dual racetronix setup, new item?
Later Chris
Hey Chris! How are things going???

Yes, my winter mods are underway, I'm shipping out my intake & TB to TPIS today, on lunch break, to get the 90mmx78mm oval setup!

I also have larger fuel injectors on thier way, and I should probably upgrade the fuel rails since all that is already disconnected right now anyway.

The fuel pump upgrade probably wont go in until mid-summer, or when the stock one fails on me, which even comes first :-)

I'll definetly be re-dynotuning it after all this too, since I didnt bother re-tuning it last year...

So, how are your winter mods going???

- Mike
Old 01-31-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk

It's really easy. I swapped out the harness without dropping the fuel tank.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Same here. I dont think you need to continuously drop the tank anytime you wanna get to the pump. It should have come from the factory with this trap door up top.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

what do u use to flush the tank? just regular water?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cleaning the tank to make sure the pump works good seems a bit unecessary to me,maybe on very high mileage cars.
Doesn't the pump have a filter on it? After all the gas that goes in the tank after you clean the tank out is going to be dirty again.What are you supposed to do keep dropping the tank to clean it out every year? The pump should have a good enough filter to not get clogged up.Its just a modified walbro and thousands of dsm guys throw them in thru the hatch access panels with zero problems aside from the annoying whine they make.

I have seen many cars with access hatches. My dsms have them.They make fuel pump changes very quick and easy. Gm was stupid as hell not to put an access hatch in the car and even if you have a problem you can get to the pump quick with the hatch.
I may pull the tank off my vert to install my racetronix pump but heard the verts are harder to do the access hatch.its an lt1 vert if that matters.

Also where is this twin system on the racetronix site..is it out for 99 ls1 f bodies already?

I am looking for a fuel system shortly for my twin turbo 99.

Quick Reply: Racetronix Fuel Pump Install