Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

I Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I Need Help!!!

People, thanks for taking the time to look at this post. I am overseas right now and my folks back home cant get my firehawk to start.

I had the dealer replace the pump last year after I got back from Iraq becuse it would not start and there was no pressure in the lines. They checked it out and they confirmed that it was a pump. Well $1200 later I took it home. When I got there I went to go start it and no go. It would not start and again there was no pressure in the lines. I was pissed and decided not to mess with it. Monday morning I get in the car just for spite and put the key in, guess what it starts. I drive to work pull the key out, and try agian no go. I try this several times and it works on and off. I go to work clean the key and try it again and it works fine. Every once in a while it gave me problems but not often enough to warant me losing my daily driver to get the ignition switch replaced.

Ok so two things I think that the dealer ripped me off on the pump replacement when not necessary but I dont know enough about the problem to fight it. Another is will the pass II affect the fuel pump to make it look like a bad pump on the read out?

Now back to the current problem. The car is doing the same thing. It has been in storage since last august but has been turned on every week ever since then and ocasonaly driven around the block so that nothing goes bad because of just sitting there. My dad when to go start it and it wouldnt turn over he kept cranking until the battery would not turn (damn it dad what were you thinking!! ) Well a mechanic came over and said that the fuel pump was bad and that the key was not the problem. This is a friend of my dad and he spent a long time looking the car over to make sure it was not something else.

I need help people, I dont want to replace the pump only to have it burn out on me again. What do you guys think that it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know that it is a long post but I really apreciate the help guys it is really frustrating to not be there to fix the problem and I need the car fixed soon because I am comming home soon and I need it to get me to Virginia from Texas and still get me around until I find a beater car.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

You need to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail first before replacing anything. It should be between 55-60 psi with the ignition in the ON position (not start). You also need to verify if it's holding pressure by leaving the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. I believe (don't have my manuals right now) it should only lose a couple of psi. It sounds more like the fuel pressure regulator than the actual fuel pump. Just to play it safe I would change the fuel filter as well.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to my dad and he said he has gotten it to start but only a few times and that when he cant get it to start there is zero pressure in the fuel rail. The filter has been changed.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LILBLKBIRD
I talked to my dad and he said he has gotten it to start but only a few times and that when he cant get it to start there is zero pressure in the fuel rail. The filter has been changed.
So he hooked a fuel pressure gauge to the rail? Can he hear the fuel pump "whir" with the ignition on? If so and there is still no fuel pressure it's probably the regulator.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

yeah they hooked a fuel pressure guage to the rail and had someone listen for he "whir" of the pump but nothing. The mechanic has deemed it to be the fuel pump so right now I am trying to get the dealer to replace it under the pumps waranty but you know how that goes. I dont understand though why it has gone through two fuel pumps in 1 year. I did not rag on it and my dad has put maybe 20 miles on it from just taking it to the gas station once in a while so that it wasnt just sitting around. Thanks for your help though.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

check the fuel pump relay
Old 04-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its been checked no luck. Thanks though, its frustrating as hell to be out here and not be able to take care of the problem. Especially since I have to drive this car across the country pretty soon.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Check Your Igination Switch,sorry For The Bad Spelling.some Times The Key Fob Does Not Reg. The Key.so It Might Just Be In There.