Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Aeromotive voltage controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromotive voltage controller

Is this piece worth getting?

I have twin A1000 pumps, the second will kick on under boost (probably at 9psi)

Cost really isn't much of a issue, long as it does a good job
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Its a pulse width modulation box and is pretty reliable. You may set the pump to go full speed via rpm signal or switch. It will also run the pump full speed during prime and after you shut the car off for a few seconds. It can sink 25 amps or so. The box will reduce your pumps output and recirculation abut 40% when its active.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andereck
Its a pulse width modulation box and is pretty reliable. You may set the pump to go full speed via rpm signal or switch. It will also run the pump full speed during prime and after you shut the car off for a few seconds. It can sink 25 amps or so. The box will reduce your pumps output and recirculation abut 40% when its active.
so whats this for?? just to band-aid some kind of return restriction??
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

No, its used to reduce the amount of fuel recirculated and therefore heated in the system during low demand operation.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah - like when im at a stop light I don't need the fuel pump going full blast for example

It sounds like a descent little thing but its almost as much as a new pump itself so I kind of question its worth, it would have to extend pump life like 50% to pay for itself even in a few years.

But it does look cool, I'll give some credit there, it would look nice next to BigStuff3
Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used one for $140 in great shape. It is in and working and has helped reduce my fuel heating problem. I have it set so that basically anytime off idle the pump is full speed. A secondary benefit is a much lower sound level at idle - it's just more pleasant.

No tuning issues since it is consistent and only active during a no load (idle out of gear) or a low load (idle in gear) situation. I tweaked a few cells where I typically idle in gear.

Jim
Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

The performance benifit is that the fuel remains cooler and is therefore less apt to flash over to a vapor in the inlet side of your pump. If it does flash over due to the lower pressure on the inlet side, your pump will stop producing a steady volume and pressure of fuel. This is called pump cavitation and not only will it lead to fuel starvation it is the number one killer of high volume fuel pumps. It leads to heavy pump mechanism wear.