Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel system for KB blown LS1 in '68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system for KB blown LS1 in '68 Camaro

Not sure if this should have been in the Hybrid or fuel section, but here it goes. I'm new to the LS1 thing and just bought a 2002 Trans Am LS1 and T56 to put in my '68 Camaro. I will be changing the heads and cam (prob. ported 6 liter or AFR heads and LS6 cam) and want to use the new Kenne Bell blower. I will be building a new fuel system since my last motor was carb'ed. I'm not sure what the best route is to go on this. I'm expecting 550 RWHP, so I need an adequate system to feed the motor. I don't want to go overboard, but I'd like to be able to step up the power in the future without major changes to the fuel system. Here are my ideas for the system. Please chime in if you have suggestions or ideas.
In-tank fuel pump (have not decided which one, possibly walbro 255?)
single feed line to front of car (-8?)
99+ Vette regulator mounted near tank
Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump

The blower uses a single inlet type fuel rail since it is designed for the Corvette. I have been trying to figure out how the stock vette system works, and how I will do something similar on my car. I don't see any kind of vacuum port on the regulator. How does the fuel pressure drop at idle speed? Is there a fuel pump module that controls this? Most cars I see have a vacuum port on the fuel fiter/regulator to adjust pressure based on engine vacuum. I have been thinking about this bacause I also will need a way to boost-reference fuel pressure. Is an aftermarket, boost-referenced return style regulator a better idea for my car? I know there are probably many different ways to do this, but I'd like to do it right the first time. Any info is appreciated. Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

You can do it the way you have listed and tune through the computer. No need to boost ref. You can also set it up as a return style with a good boost reg. and it will be a little better system.

Nate
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
You can do it the way you have listed and tune through the computer. No need to boost ref. You can also set it up as a return style with a good boost reg. and it will be a little better system.

Nate

I am starting from scratch, so I will do whatever will work best. Would it be better to run a return style, boost ref. regulator near the fuel rails? What would you do if you were in my position? The blower manifold has the single inlet style rails, and I would like to not have to mess with them. Is there anything wrong with running an adjustable regulator between the pump and rails? If I set the base pressure to a typical LS1 setting (50psi?), will I have a problem running rich at idle, or do you tune to compensate for it? Forgive my ignorance, I am trying to learn how these things tick. Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

With a reg on the feed side it can fluctuate what the injectors see. Not terible that is how the stock LS1 is but when you start to climb in hp it is more and more important to have exact. First off what power will the motor make? There are several ways to attack it. You can build a stock style system even as simple as adding a Corvette fuel filter with a built in regulator. Or to boost ref run a feed and return up to the engine compartment attached to a reg and continue the feed to the rails. Or if the fittings come out of the ends of the rails I would rather see a true return style system.

The tune will compensate for alot you can set your base at 58psi and not ref. the reg and tune or tune with boost ref. it all depends on the tuner some like it one way or the other.

Give me a call I can help you setup the fuel system and explain it alot better.

Nate
Old 05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I original plan was to build a stock style system using the corvette regulator/filter, then I started doubting myself. I am looking at around 525-550 RWHP with the way I plan to set up the motor. The stock LS6 vettes with the Kenne Bell blowers are putting down 525 RWHP @7 psi. I think I am going to use the '02+ LS6 cam (or the Lingenfelter version) and a better set of heads that will also lower my compression, so my numbers should be around there. Kenne Bell has a flash programmer that comes with their complete kits. The blower kit is designed to use the stock corvette fuel system, so they must tune to compensate for boost rather than reference it. I'll have to give you a call, Nate. Thanks
Andy