Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will this work?

I am going to run dual pumps on my new setup and have some questions.

I am going to have a Walbro255 installed and drill the bucket to run when not in boost, and have a check valve to turn on my A1000 when I hit 3psi of boost. Will running these two pumps together work alright? Or will the A1000 take too long to turn on and send fuel to do this?

I woul obviously run a Y-block to tie the two pumps to my -8 fuel feed line into my rails followed by the boost referenced regulator.

Any links to the parts I need to make this work would be really helpful.

Also would a dedicated fuel cell for the A1000 with race fuel in it be more beneficial?

So run 93 octane in the stock tank with teh Walbro and then have a dedicated cell for the A1000 pump and 116octane or something of that nature.

This setup is going onto an F1C Procharged GTO with a built 408. So I am thinking the dedicated cell will help the car make clean power up top and also help keep the car from any detonation.

Am I crazy or does this make sense? Because I think running the dedicated cell with race fuel on the A1000 would be nice to have to feed the car. I know people do it on nitrous setups, but I haven't seen/heard of a blower/turbo car doing it.

Nasty N8 I think you can expect a call form me tomorrow to discuss this and the possibility of getting a little 2-3gallon fuel cell made for just this purpose.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:23 PM
9 Second Club

I forgot to add I will also be running methanol, but will not be tuned to rely on it.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to run twice as much methonal as you do gas... i know this cause thats what my BBC 509 does...

i burn 5gallons every 2 passes and it is making right around 750 hp... it runs 6.0x in the 8th at 112 and weighs 3000lb...

id stick with unleaded race gas or something... youll burn that 2-3 gallons very quick.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
you have to run twice as much methonal as you do gas... i know this cause thats what my BBC 509 does...

i burn 5gallons every 2 passes and it is making right around 750 hp... it runs 6.0x in the 8th at 112 and weighs 3000lb...

id stick with unleaded race gas or something... youll burn that 2-3 gallons very quick.
I dont think he's planning on fueling the motor with methanol, just augment his gas fuel system and cool boost temps with it.
He wants to run Hi octane fuel in the smaller 2-3 gallon cell. Not meth.

Anyway, ty-ty13, your idea of a standalone fuel system for your enrichment fueling is pretty good. Id just like to point a few things out...
2-3 gallons will drain REALLY fast with an a-1000 sucking on it. While the idea is good, it leaves you recirculating ALL the fuel from both sources to the main tank, so the seperate cell does not have the excess pouring back in.
Also, the two different fuels will combine in the line before being fed from by the injectors and recirculated. So after a while, you end up with an empty cell and a mix of race gas and 93 octane in the tank.

To do like your thinking with the seperate cell for enrichment gas correctly, you'd really have to run two seperate fuel systems.

One last point, assuming you just use one tank and the two pumps, that A-1000 will easily overpower the Walbro. IMO there's enough of a difference in pump power to revert fuel backwards through a running Walbro. So a check valve would be in order on the Walbro side, but the diff in pumping efficiency might still make it so the Walbro isnt doing anything but sitting there cavatating.
Two walbro's running continuously are hard enough on each other when plumbed in parallel, especially when your motors not consuming a great deal of fuel volume.

Two Walbro 255lph pumps on there own can support ALOT of HP. What kinda numbers are you shooting for?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks Fire...
I intend to make between 850-100rwhp.

Everything you have said makes perfect sense to me, and has me thinking that dual A1000s will be the way to do it in the end. My GTO has a bucket problem and I doubt I could put dual Wlbros in it.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
7 Second Club

make sure your cell seals extremely good.... meth will evaporate right before your eyes
Old 06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

We should have our Race tanks done next week. We are just waiting on material to get them complete.

Nate
Old 06-16-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

NAte - Off topic, but do you sell replacement fuel pumps for a 98 Racetronix PnP? If so, what price and are they in stock?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

TrakDay-
Why not an Aeromotive eliminator and pump controller?
You'd do just fine with just about any injectors on one of those bad biatches. Or are you stuck with an in-tank setup?
Could you gut the tank and sump it?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
TrakDay-
Why not an Aeromotive eliminator and pump controller?
You'd do just fine with just about any injectors on one of those bad biatches. Or are you stuck with an in-tank setup?
Could you gut the tank and sump it?
I already run a single Aeromotive A1000 on my setup. How much FI HP are the Eliminator pumps good till? Oh and I already have a pump controller too.

I wish there was an easy way to sump my fricken tank, but there isn't seeing as how it is mounted in the trunk. I may just buy the fuel cell N8 is going to be selling and get the Eliminator pump if most people think it will be enough for what I need.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on the injector choice, and corresponding FP required the pump requirement can vary greatly. If your stuck with the stock PCM and high impedance injectors... Then Mototron 60's are prob gonna be the choice. In that case you'd have to run them upwards of 65+psi and the eliminator would be about the only pump to do it on its own.
Or you could run a 2nd A1000 on hobbs switch...

To determine all this you first need to pick an injector and FP required to make that injector work for you.
Then based on the flow you need and the pressure the injectors will need to obtain that flow, go searching Fuel Pump flow charts.
You'll find that its a balancing act, because as FP increases so does injector flow. While the fuel pump flow will fall with FP. Because of this fact, and the inevitable/uncontrollable variances in supply/demand you'll want to get a pump(s) that will supply the correct flow in the middle of its range. This way your not maxing the pump(s) with just a little more fuel demand.
Food for thought: Nate has some new pumps that are supposed to support HUGE power in a single configuration. Do a search in this section and you should find his recent post regarding them.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah... I forgot to mention I will be running 96# injectors with a versafueler.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give me some time to work out the numbers and I can tell you what all you need... Basically though, your pump(s) will need to flow a minimum of 768 lb/hr of fuel at your peak fuel pressure to support those injectors. Since you want some cushion in there it'd be safe to say that you need at least 800 lb/hr worth of flow at your peak FP.
Im assuming you'll be using a boost referenced regulator, so figure your base pressure, add your expected boost pressure and you have a peak FP to work with.
Let me know that info and I can help with all the calculations.